the only distortion is is an overdriven pre and tape saturation

OrangeLazarus

• Members

Sometimes when I mention that I occasionally record with a four track cassette recorder I am asked by somebody why I don't get hip with the times and record digitally. The fact is that I do record digitally and many of the things I record are recorded digitally. But sometimes low(er) fidelity recordings sound cool and interesting to my ears. Hearing this Latin Playboys record and learning that it was recorded with a cassette recorder is what prompted me to get a four track recorder, a Tascam 414, of my own.

Ultimately the things that I record on the Tascam 414 are mixed to the Yamaha digital recorder with effects from the Tascam's two effects loops. Though I sometimes will record several tracks on the digital recorder, mix them to the cassette recorder, and then mix them back to the digital recorder.

All things considered, I actually like the sound of an electric guitar plugged straight into a cassette recorder, especially when I raise the input level of the cassette recorder to get overdrive. I can also do this with drum machines, bass, and analog synthesizers. I also like the way old school minimal techno sounds recorded on a cassette recorder.

If you really wanted to use cassette recorder overdrive you could simply just plug a guitar into an input on the cassette recorder and plug the cassette recorder into an amplifier. Though I wouldn't recommend it with a Tascam 414 like mine because the RCA outs are somewhat flimsy. I would do it with a much sturdier cassette recorder like an old Teac. Actually, the very early Teac mixers can be overdriven too. Another very good sounding overdrive is the Barcus Berry Standard Preamp which was originally intended to be used with the 1970s Barcus Berry acoustic pickup.

• Members

OL, I'd like to hear a clip!

no gets to hear it. i'm working on a whole album and it needs to be heard in its entirety or not at all. once the entire record is completed it'll be available for free online. til then, just trust me, it sounds filthy. minimalist techno meets shoegaze meets lofi meets ambient meets avante garde.

• Members

no gets to hear it. i'm working on a whole album and it needs to be heard in its entirety or not at all. once the entire record is completed it'll be available for free online. til then, just trust me, it sounds filthy. minimalist techno meets shoegaze meets lofi meets ambient meets avante garde.

oh god

• Members

Zaireeka'd

• Members

Okay, but you better deliver! :)

• Members

Okay, but you better deliver!
:)

yeah it does sound pretty pretentious. it's not a concept album per se but it does have a continual thread running through it. the real reason no one gets to hear it is that I have no way of processing it into digital right now, so i think i want to have it confined to my karaoke machine, music room and my own head. as for the one person who did hear it, he described it as "My Bloody Valentine making 90s hiphop with Peter Gabriel samples"

Archived