Hard-drives for music: SSD vs. 7200rpm HD

Palaver

• Members

Hey guys,

I've been on google trying to find something about SSD performance on music software. Is it better than regular hard-disks?

It seems like the SSD drives certainly load apps quicker, but for the constant editing/write/re-write for DAW users (and also heavy sample use), are SSD proven in our world?

Is SSD a huge benefit for laptop performers? Do they handle the writing of audio much more efficiency, and help with latency?

What's the deal on these drives? Anyone out here use them, or have any experience with them?

Cheers,

Phil B

• Members

Good questions. I've been wondering about this myself. In general, I wonder how SSDs deal with wear on systems that assume that writes have no cost in this regard.

(For those that don't know: Flash memory has limited write cycles and can't be erased/rewritten infinitely like conventional magnetic media.)

• Members

Good questions. I've been wondering about this myself. In general, I wonder how SSDs deal with wear on systems that assume that writes have no cost in this regard.

(For those that don't know: Flash memory has limited write cycles and can't be erased/rewritten infinitely like conventional magnetic media.)

Unfortunately, it looks like everyone else seems to be clueless like us!

Archived