Decent cubase for windows 7 (any decent prices? - plus another question).

Elessar [Sly]

• Members

I am thinking about getting cubase again since I had it a few years ago, but what cubase is best for windows 7? I don't have a budget for it yet, but I have digital to audio interfaces from a few years back.

Also, it will be using my laptop (6G ram), can I save cubase onto an external hard drive and load it up/ save everything for it in there? Since I plan on having a room to use a mini studio/recording room, and this laptop won't be dedicated to only recording. I'll only use it with cubase in this room/ plug into the external hamster from there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar [sly]

View Post

I am thinking about getting cubase again since I had it a few years ago, but what cubase is best for windows 7? I don't have a budget for it yet, but I have digital to audio interfaces from a few years back.

I use Cubase 6.5 (full version) which is brilliant.

I'd go for one of the current versions, but let your budget and feature requirements decide which version:

Version summary - http://www.steinberg.net/en/products.../versions.html

Feature comparison - http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...omparison.html

iirc, none of the earlier Cubase versions are supported on Windows 7, although I know some people have got the latest v5 updates to work.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by driverhasabomb

View Post

The newer Cubase versions really don't offer all that much over SX for people who are mainly recording real instruments imo. The composing and MIDI tools make upgrading worth it.

yeah i heard really good things about the version 5... sure i use a bunch of VST, Midi and automation and do lots of edits... but the SX version is ok for me a.t.m.

- thanks for the infos smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by driverhasabomb

View Post

The newer Cubase versions really don't offer all that much over SX for people who are mainly recording real instruments imo. The composing and MIDI tools make upgrading worth it.

I'd actually disagree with that...

VariAudio (introduced in C5) and the comping features (introduced in C6) to name just two things are big steps forward imo.

I've been using Cubase since the 'VST' version days and haven't really seen that much progress on the MIDI side (for the way I work - which is largely with orchestral arrangements)... but then Cubase was always really strong for MIDI.

View Post

It's basically a "light" version of Cubase. And to be honest, for most people, something like that is generally more than they'll ever need or use. It's got limitations, but 48 tracks isn't so bad. icon_lol.gif

Seriously - what do you want to do with it? If it's basic home / hobby recording you're going to be doing, it's quite capable.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...lements_6.html

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

It's basically a "light" version of Cubase. And to be honest, for most people, something like that is generally more than they'll ever need or use. It's got limitations, but 48 tracks isn't so bad. icon_lol.gif

Seriously - what do you want to do with it? If it's basic home / hobby recording you're going to be doing, it's quite capable.

Thanks Phil. Yeah I want something I can use to record different projects on with a decent amount of tracks and plug ins. I used to use Cubase SX a few years ago, so something along those lines would be cool.

• Members

View Post

View Post

View Post

Thanks Phil. Yeah I want something I can use to record different projects on with a decent amount of tracks and plug ins. I used to use Cubase SX a few years ago, so something along those lines would be cool.

Yes; for many people Elements will be perfectly adequate - especially if you're just working with 'real' audio (i.e. you'll be recording instruments and vocals).

It does lack quite a lot of the fancy editing features (e.g. comping tools, VariAudio for pitch correction and most of the time correction and manipulation tools), and it also lacks some MIDI capability, but nothing that's going to stop you making music...

I posted a link in an earlier post to compare versions at a glance ( http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...omparison.html ), so you can see that Elements is still very well equipped... it's probably not that different to SX in feature set actually (aside from maximum track counts etc.), so if that suited you, then you'll be fine with Elements, I reckon... especially at the price.

Just out of interest, have you tried Cockos Reaper yet?

It's very good, especially if you're working with audio rather than MIDI.

(After years of using Cubase, Reaper's MIDI just doesn't do it for me, but the audio recording and editing side of it is very powerful.)

I'm still a Cubase man at heart, but for quick audio recording (e.g. acoustic guitar + vocal demos) I'll often use Reaper... or sometimes I'll work in Cubase but export everything and mix in Reaper if it's a small-ish project, just for a change.

It's been a while, and I'm going to try the latest version, but while I have friends who really like Reaper, the last time I tried it, I wasn't that impressed. Still, I love their pricing, and people can "try before they buy", which is extremely nice - since you can download a non-expiring, fully functioning version, there's really no reason not to at least check it out.

http://www.reaper.fm/

• Members

View Post

It's been a while, and I'm going to try the latest version, but while I have friends who really like Reaper, the last time I tried it, I wasn't that impressed. Still, I love their pricing, and people can "try before they buy", which is extremely nice - since you can download a non-expiring, fully functioning version, there's really no reason not to at least check it out.

http://www.reaper.fm/

I know what you mean.

Every now and then I'd try the demo but never clicked with it - it always seemed unintuitive to work with; certain functions didn't work how I wanted them to, or I couldn't find a function, or their were too many menus etc... every time I tried it, I gave up pretty quickly.

Last year, I ended up helping out a local band with their recording (they had already started but wanted/needed a fresh perspective); they were using Reaper so I carried on using it - it was Version 4, which I really do see as a huge improvement on the earlier versions I'd tried.

Basic editing was a breeze (inc. fixing timing errors), and it was the same story when it came to mixing (once I worked out how to set up sends, groups etc.).

Having worked in Cubase and Pro Tools since the 90s, Reaper still feels a bit strange, just because it is a different environment with it's own take on what DAW software should be. (I've heard people say that Cockos approach the software more from a programming point of view, rather than in terms of music production - I don't know enough about them to know if that's true or not.)

I've always been of the opinion that with less experience of the established DAW programs (PT, Cubase, Logic etc.) you'll have a better chance of clicking with Reaper, whereas if you have extensive experience of the other programs then Reaper feels a bit like learning a different language.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kpd78

View Post

Last year, I ended up helping out a local band with their recording (they had already started but wanted/needed a fresh perspective); they were using Reaper so I carried on using it - it was Version 4, which I really do see as a huge improvement on the earlier versions I'd tried.

It is. I've had it installed for a while and will be buying my licence on Friday pay day this week smile.gif I'd say it mirrors the development of the various Linux operating systems. The more people use it, the more feedback the developers get, and it becomes less of a programmers way of working and more of a 'normal' person's way of working. Like using Ubuntu if you've always used Windows, it's pretty much the same as Cubase, just has its own quirks.

For me, the ease of installation, reliability, regularity of updates, and the quality of the plugins coupled with the price make it a brainer of the no variety.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Elements 6 seems pretty cool, what is the sound quality like?

The same as the full version, really.

Elements and Artist only go up to 96kHz sample rates whereas the full version supports up to 192kHz - but the majority of people still work at 44.1kHz anyway.

Aside from that, the audio engine in all Cubase versions is the same.

• Members

The same as the full version, really.

Elements and Artist only go up to 96kHz sample rates whereas the full version supports up to 192kHz - but the majority of people still work at 44.1kHz anyway.

Aside from that, the audio engine in all Cubase versions is the same.

Cheers.

Archived