Boss Delays - how the F do they work?

ItchyFingers

• Members

The DD-20 sounds horrible. I say exactly the same of the RE-20. I don't care about modulation control, presets, or the tape mode. The DD-7 is a small box of wonderment and the DD-20 is a big load of {censored}e (he says having had four of them)
:)

Maybe you just had four bad ones, lol. I gotta think that the DD-7 is based almost entirely on the same models as the DD-20, with some minor tweaks. I've owned a DD-7 too, really good pedal, don't think it sounds any better than the DD-20 though. Or not enough for me to abandon all the extra features I like on the dd20. I do think though, a good remake of the DD-20 is in order soon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeehaa. Agreed. My CS-2 is replacing my Keeley and that FT-2 Dynamic Filter is just awesome in auto as well as with an expression pedal!

It can be hard to dial in, but once it's set right, oww man deep and funky.

My opinion is PH-2 is miles better than the PH-3 mostly because the PH-3 is a COSM effect, and you hear it when you crank it up. The PH-2 is also capable of self oscillating.

You know, I had some hesitation about listing the PH-3 because somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew it was digital (and I'm no fan of digital modulation) so I'll stick with my PH-2 suggestion.

• Members

I could easily get by with just boss peds. The DD-5 is my personal favorite out of their compact digital delays. The reverse mode alone is worth keeping it around imo.

But ever since I got a RV-3 I found myself leaving the DD-5 at home. The reverse mode and the other modes aren't stuff you need regularly, the RV-3 does all basic digital delay jobs fine. Actually, the repeats sound clearer, more present. I guess that super crispy 'digital' sound is what a lot of people dislike about the RV-3, but impo a digital delay is supposed to sound that way. If I want more muddy grainy repeats, I get a dedicated analog delay, or at least a good digital one that's supposed to gimmick a memory man or AD9 or whatever. Though I guess the DD7 is worth a look too, the analog mode is probably all most people need as far as analog delay sounds go.

Anyway, impo there's not much trade of for getting the all-in package of the RV-3, at least not in terms of the actual sound quality. And from the reviews/clips I read/heard, it's the same for the RV-2 and RV-5.

The DM-2 is a killer pedal, but with the delay market being saturated as it is right now, and the 'vintage' prices going through the roof, it would make a lot more sense to just get an aqua puss or memory man or something similar instead impo. Or, like you said, a DD-20 if it has to be Boss.

As far as dirt goes: Dunno if you're into fuzz, but the FZ-2 is a nasty and unique beast for the money, and the FZ-3 is a more 'civilised' classic sounding distortiony fuzz that can still be find for less than what the average booteek fuzz goes:lol:

A last tip, since you seem to share my fetish for discontinued/vintage boss peds: In case you also find the CE-5 too cold, metallic and 'glassy' sounding: CE-2. Doesn't really mess with your dry tone, it's like it just adds wobbly watery univibe sauce on top of it:love: Really warm and lush sounding, though it obiously doesn't have the eq and stereo out of the CE-5.

• Members

I'm gassing right now for an RV-3 because I really liked the hall mode the 2 other times i've owned one.

People now are asking too much for them. Ain't gonna happen guys!
:lol:
I just have cool memories with that pedal out of a small amp when I was younger so maybe it's a nostalgia thing. It also sounds great in stereo.

I went through a huge reverb/delay phase before decided NOT to blow money on eventide/strymon stuff and get an RV3 instead. Not saying the RV-3 wins over those other two, but for the money it's a pretty great ambient/postrock machine impo. Paired with a good analog delay it's probably all anyone really needs for Well, any kind of music:love:

They're definatelly not worth the inflated ebay prices though. I got mine for a little under 100Euro not so very long ago if I remember right, I think I even bought it from someone here. Love the Hall mode, and the really wet sounding Delay/Reverb settings, and the stereo outs are a hige bonus too impo.

• Members
The DD-20 sounds horrible. I say exactly the same of the RE-20. I don't care about modulation control, presets, or the tape mode. The DD-7 is a small box of wonderment and the DD-20 is a big load of {censored}e (he says having had four of them)
:)

I agree, I had a DD-20 and it was one of the worst sounding delays I've heard despite all of it's options/versatility. I have a DD-7 now and love it, a great sounding delay and still very versatile. Also have an old DD-2 that I love.

• Members

They're definatelly not worth the inflated ebay prices though. I got mine for a little under 100Euro not so very long ago if I remember right, I think I even bought it from someone here. Love the Hall mode, and the really wet sounding Delay/Reverb settings, and the stereo outs are a hige bonus too impo.

:thu:

Archived