Boss Delays - how the F do they work?

ItchyFingers

• Members

Oh nevermind, they are way simpler than magnets.

After I built the worlds most cork-sniffery board in existence, made solely of pedals from independent builders on HCFX and the like, I've decided to go the exact opposite direction and build a completely Boss board. I think it will be fun and cheap, which my wallet will certainly approve of. I've had a TU-2 and a Loop Station from way back, so those will definitely be used. I've got my boost/dirt section covered with a Super OD (SD-1) and a Blues Driver (BD-2); I was never too big on Boss dirt, but I think these two are some of their best. I've picked up a Chorus (CE-5) and a Tremolo/Pan (PN-2) to cover my modulation needs. I'm still trying to decide if a phaser / shifter will be necessary, but I know I need a delay, and holy F are there options available...

I'm mainly looking at the DM-2 for that old school appeal, and the fact that they're no longer made. However in shopping for those, they aren't much differently priced on the used market from the DD-20, which I know some people on here swear by. Then of course there is the DD-3 thru 7, which I have seen on way too many boards to count. How are the combo-delay pedals - does the delay suffer from the other onboard effect? Should I be looking at the Phase Shift/Delay (PS-3)? Or even the Reverb/Delay (RV-3)? I've got onboard reverb on one amp, but I suppose you could never have too many reverb pedals...

Anyway, let me know which Boss delay you're using or have used. Or which you think would be best for an ULTIMATE BOSS BOARD!!! :p

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I owned a dd-20 and a rv-3. spent a fair bit of time with the dd-7.

I really liked the dd-20, presets, tap-divide feature, bpm and ms read out. The tape emulation with the two heads on was very nice. looper is eh. but all and all the one I've liked the best.

dd-7 is good, but no tape mode like the 20, but you get the expression control, so its what whatever you need.

rv-3 was a waste of money, I'd rather buy a cheaper dd-7 or a slightly more expensive dd-20 then waste a 120 or whatever on that crap pedal again. the reverb sounds shrill and bland, and the delays do nothing for me, I am absolutely confused why so many people like it. I think they're all crazy....

• Members

DD-7: reverse mode, analog mode, tap, exp. out, loops, just an amazing pedal for its size

This. An absolute Boss home run. Despite my Pearl analogue delay being repaired, I'm keeping the DD-7 as it does so much. The 100% wet sounds are good and it doesn't sound like {censored} like the DD-20.

Current Boss gear on the board: DD-7, SD-1, CE-2B, and a Boss GT-3.

Want: PN-2 and VB-2 :)

• Members

This. An absolute Boss home run. Despite my Pearl analogue delay being repaired, I'm keeping the DD-7 as it does so much. The 100% wet sounds are good and it doesn't sound like {censored} like the DD-20.

What the hell are you smoking? DD-20 sounds great, very similar to the DD-7. Except it has a really good tape mode, and much better control of the modulation that the DD-7 doesn't have. Plus the easiest to use presets of just about any delay pedal out there.

• Members

The DM's are analog...they do delay and only delay, no tricks or features (except oscillation and wet/dry outputs). Maximum delay time is 330ms (0.3 seconds).

The DD's are digital, they've gotten more complex wih features like reverse swell, tap tempo, etc. and significantly longer dealy times (6.4 seconds on the DD-7).

I have a DM-2 that is a staple of my board, but I only use a little slapback. I don't use reverb at all, just slapback or very short delay with lots of repeats (a la Mark KnopflerDire Straits).

As for others, there are the great CS 2 or 3 compressors for chicken pickin'; their excellent FT-2 Envelope Filter/Auto Wah; or a PH-2 phaser.

• Members

What the hell are you smoking? DD-20 sounds great, very similar to the DD-7. Except it has a really good tape mode, and much better control of the modulation that the DD-7 doesn't have. Plus the easiest to use presets of just about any delay pedal out there.

The DD-20 sounds horrible. I say exactly the same of the RE-20. I don't care about modulation control, presets, or the tape mode. The DD-7 is a small box of wonderment and the DD-20 is a big load of {censored}e (he says having had four of them) :)

• Members

This. Love my DD-5. Fun pedal and sounds very good.

The DD-5 is absolutely a fun pedal. I just didn't like that you have to tap 4 times with a tap tempo plugged in. I know. 1st world problems.

I got a Behringer version instead after trading my DD5 toward a WET so i'm fine with that. :) It sounds good. The repeats are a bit more filtered which I like.

Archived