Put away your delay pedals. Is slide guitar the first ever guitar effect?

christianatl

• Members

Son House is a total badass. He plays and sings with such a savageness. I {censored}ing love it.

It's sort of the same reason I love both Bob Dylan and Nirvana. They weren't going to let lack of skill, training or refinement get in the way of expression.

It gives me hope. Whenever I hear a musician that is obviously far superior to me, I try to remember that technical skill is not really what I do, and I feel a little better.

• Members

Son House is a total badass. He plays and sings with such a savageness. I {censored}ing love it.

It's sort of the same reason I love both Bob Dylan and Nirvana. They weren't going to let lack of skill, training or refinement get in the way of expression.

It gives me hope. Whenever I hear a musician that is obviously far superior to me, I try to remember that technical skill is not really what I do, and I feel a little better.

Pretty much how I feel too. Technically skilled players usually bore me quickly. Emotional oriented players will captivate me, over and over.

• Members

Pretty much how I feel too. Technically skilled players usually bore me quickly. Emotional oriented players will captivate me, over and over.

i feel the same way. i am trying to hone in on better slide playing, it takes alot of emotion to not "overplay"

i love derek trucks for obvious reasons, but The Edge comes to mind as well in emotive slide playing, almost all of his qoute unqoute solos use slide, and they are all simplistic and very emotive.

another thing i've noticed about slide, it sounds best unmolested, if i put on delay or other effects besides a little dirt, it just isn't the same.

• Members

Srs. While yngwie malmsteen and steve vai are stellar guitar players, theres no feeling or emotion and the music is boring as hell while they just try to show how many notes they can hit as fast as possible. It's about art and expression, not just showing how awesome you are

• Members

Slide is incredible. Every guitar player needs to spend ~half a year with a slide on their finger and learn the basics to get it sounding pretty. Pretty slide playing is tops, better than any {censored}ing delay pedal.

well put. there are so many things to incorporate into slide really. raking, slide down in betweens, finger picking, octaves, pinky in front, staying within a small section

Archived