Any Boss DM-2/DM-3 Love?

BG76

• Members

I have quite a few delay options but I always seem to come back to these. I still see the DM-2 going for about $150 quite often and compared to a lot of the new delays selling for about that price (Aqua Puss, Carbon Copy, AD-9 (my fav of the new) I still think they're a bargain.

Anyone else still like these old guys?

108222884_el.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My DM-2 displaced my Echoplex EP-3 almost a decade ago and I haven't bought a delay since. Love it. Would I pay $300 for one? Probably not. I would pay $150 for one. The downside to all of these old analog pedals is eventually the BBD chip will die, and the older the pedal gets, the less life you get for your money.

• Members

Damn BG, I'd love to see your collection of old Boss gems, between the DM-2, the Slow Gear, and the Dimension C I've seen, you've already got some of the best. I had been looking for a DM-3 because of the stereo out and noise reduction, and those unique little knobs! The "buy it now" prices are extremely bloated, but I just won this on ebay for about $150 shipped. Waiting for it to arrive asap...

DM3.jpg

• Members

Damn BG, I'd love to see your collection of old Boss gems, between the DM-2, the Slow Gear, and the Dimension C I've seen, you've already got some of the best. I had been looking for a DM-3 because of the stereo out and noise reduction, and those unique little knobs! The "buy it now" prices are extremely bloated, but I just won this on ebay for about $150 shipped. Waiting for it to arrive asap...

Thanks, here are a couple and it looks like you won a kick ass pedal! I've got one called the Spectrum (SG-1) that you don't see all that much either. It's a neat pedal, I'll post a pic later today.

2012-09-17180636.jpg

• Members

Thanks, here are a couple and it looks like you won a kick ass pedal! I've got one called the Spectrum (SG-1) that you don't see all that much either. It's a neat pedal, I'll post a pic later today.

Does your Spectrum have the clear rubber pad or the black one, BG? And what exactly do you do with a single band EQ pedal - does it help you cut thru a band mix? Solo boost? Oh, and how much did you have to drop on that silver screw Slow Gear? :love:

• Members

What is a Toneprint/Flashback?

Flashback is a TC Electronic Delay pedal. It has a bunch of preset sounds (tape, analog, reverse, etc). One of the settings is Toneprint. Toneprints are different delay models you can download and program into the pedal using your phone and your pickups (or USB).

Basically it's a tiny little delay pedal that accepts line or inst level, and can be loaded up with different sounds.

• Members

Flashback is a TC Electronic Delay pedal. It has a bunch of preset sounds (tape, analog, reverse, etc). One of the settings is Toneprint. Toneprints are different delay models you can download and program into the pedal using your phone and your pickups (or USB).

Basically it's a tiny little delay pedal that accepts line or inst level, and can be loaded up with different sounds.

Cool man!

To answer the other questions, the Slow Gear cost me like $30 bucks in the used/bargain bin of a store back in maybe 1987/88. At the time I wanted a Boss pedal (could only afford DOD!) and it was in my budget. I use the Spectrum like one would use a fixed wah.

• Members

I was gonna say 'too pricey and just redundant with the zillions of affordable analog delay peds out there nowadays"...

But if you can grab one for $150...Just hit it. Hard.

In fact, if you find two for $150 each...Buy one and PM me about the other one:wave:

• Members

Yeah, I just checked the Ebay Completed listings for the DM-2 and saw some around $150. There is one up there right now with a BIN for $165.

Seeing as how there are a few newer analog delays in that range, I prefer the DM-2 for that cost. YMMV, as the reissue AD-9 is fantastic, I have heard good things about the Carbon Copy. I owned the Aqua Puss and wanted to like it but it had too much high end for me - but someone else may really like that.

• Members

Does your Spectrum have the clear rubber pad or the black one, BG? And what exactly do you do with a single band EQ pedal - does it help you cut thru a band mix? Solo boost? Oh, and how much did you have to drop on that silver screw Slow Gear?
:love:

Here it is:)

sp-1.jpg

Archived