Soooooo......Katy Perry is kind of awesome?

mhuxtable

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, it isn't - and that's the shame. There'e plenty of half decent (and better) offerings out there, but Joe Public doesn't want to know.

I'd disagree - I think it's the funders that don't back the better offerings, because anything that isn't derivative is considered high risk. That's how we've got into that feedback loop of cheap imitations of older things being everywhere.

If we were as lazy choosing pedals as people are in general with music, it would be all boss and digitech boards. The people that push to the lazy aren't going to take risks, so crap is peddled and everyone laments the piles of crap.

I found The Artist really inspiring. (I get beat down for this but...) I thought the artist was a bad film. The lead roles were 1 dimensional, the plot was awful. But it was a bit different. The kind of different that had to be made by French people :eek:. So it cleaned up with oscars and got universal praise. My interpretation - people are bored, and do welcome something different. They like something different, they just can't be bothered to look for it.

Katy Perry and Pink? I used to say it was on a par with nursery rhymes - but nursery rhymes are catchy, simple, tell stories, vary in subject, have strong melodies, and stand the test of time for sometimes hundreds of years. So it would take a lot for them to even be good songs for babies, let alone decent music.

/rant.

• Members

I disagree. I think Joe Public DOES know. I think Joe Public is listening to Katy Perry one minute, then Queen the next, then one of the three kings (bb, freddie, albert). Pandora and other offerings allow us to mash up and choose what we WANT to listen to without having to buy them. CD and MP3 sales are a sorry way of determining a song's popularity.

• Members

You mean, something like this?

Go to youtube and check out the most viewed videos of all time - I guarantee you it isn't the Beatles, and it isn't Apocalypse Now. It isn't Lady Gaga either.

When I think about it, it's interesting - there's a big myth that popularity = better. It's oversimplified bollocks - stuff that can't really be measured. Which is better, chocolate or roast chicken? chocolate you say? It sell more? Close down the farms, nobody likes chicken!

...ok I really need to stop the online ranting now, far too addictive.

• Members

When I think about it, it's interesting - there's a big myth that popularity = better. It's oversimplified bollocks - stuff that can't really be measured. Which is better, chocolate or roast chicken? chocolate you say? It sell more? Close down the farms, nobody likes chicken!

this is a good point. I get frustrated by the way peope have been conditioned by the media to just accept that if something is popular it's just because that's what people want. Corporations spend millions upon millions saturating the market with their product, but many people just seem to believe that a product's popularity has nothing to do with all-encompassing, unrelenting marketing campaigns or unfair competitive practices (limiting the availibility and/or consumer knowledge of alternatives); they just accept that it's popular because "that's what people want."

• Members

this is a good point. I get frustrated by the way peope have been conditioned by the media to just accept that if something is popular it's just because that's what people want. Corporations spend millions upon millions saturating the market with their product, but many people just seem to believe that a product's popularity has nothing to do with all-encompassing, unrelenting marketing campaigns or unfair competitive practices (limiting the availibility and/or consumer knowledge of alternatives); they just accept that it's popular because "that's what people want."

Totally. I guess the plan is - make your constant marketing give the illusion that people are voting with their wallets.

My older brother and I argue about this. He says - don't you like any new music? I say - yes, but I compare it with music from any time. Why listen to a bad rehashing of Beatles songs just because they're being pumped out on sale this week?

• Members

Oh and she actually uses a backing band....I'm sure lots of prerecorded stuff too, but it's kinda nice to see a female pop star actually use a band.

Most do I think, I know rihanna does.

In some respects a recorded show doesn't have many benefits when its relatively easy just hiring a bunch of old hands to just play it. Use a band, beef it up with samples and backing tracks for the tricky parts.

• Members

I think most of the "she writes her own songs" stuff is just a result of some very misleading practices on the part of the label.

I was listening to a story on NPR one morning where they were going through the process of producing a hit song on a big label. They were deconstructing a Katy Perry song (can't remember what it was called) and all she really added to the process was the idea to put some extra "La La Las" in the chorus but she still got a song writing credit for that.

I don't know if it's like that for all her songs but it's something to think about.

Archived