Considering Swapping My Buffer For A Compressor... Thoughts?

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

Preamble:

Was a buddy's house who has a 5150 and a board with a stock TS9, Dyna Comp, SMMH, Boss Chorus (newer), MXR 10 Band, Stock Crybaby, and something else I think. He was kinda down on his tone, but is playin a damn 5150>412 at bedroom levels. I suggested cranking it and so he did. It sounded better but not great. He let me play and dial stuff in and the first thing I did was kill all the FX. Got it sounding really really nice. Then I noticed I hadn't turned the comp off. Switched it off and whoa. Bad bad tone. Tried to get it where it was without the comp but just couldn't. That little dyna comp was great sounding. Turned raspy fizzy crap-stortion into nice, full, tight, usable tone.

SO

That got me thinking, maybe a compressor would be a good idea for my board instead of a buffer. Then I'd have an extra point of adjustment and it could potentially improve my tone. I REALLY like my tone now, but I mean... perhaps I'd like it even more. Think it would help things in a band mix? I'd be using it similarly to how I use the buffer. Just always on to make 35 ft of cable and a giant true bypass board not sound like {censored} clean. I should think I'd put it first, right were the buffer is (top left)

DSCF1439.jpg

I'd be looking at the Malekko since A) It's tiny and I wouldn't have to rewire anything, direct replacement, easy... and B) I believe it is dyna-comp based, is it not?

So what say you? Silly idea? Pointless? Good? :idk:

• Members

Not pointless. If you want a buffer, and you want the features of a comp, why not combine the two functions and make that space useful.

This (http://www.ovnilab.com/) is my source for all things compressors. If it ain't reviewed there, I wait.

If you are wanting TINY, like 1590A type, then check out the "A Small List" thread for comps in that list.

• Members

It sounds to me like you want en Eq more than a compressor...

Where do you see the place for the compressor in your chain and what do you want to achieve, soundwise? If you don't need more compression (and you shouldn't need more of it with the dirt on anyway), I don't really see the point for it. If you want to cut through the band's molasses, you need more mids, an Eq will deliever that. Or your Elements. In my humble opinion: No. Don't.

But get another delay, you can't have too much delay. ;)

• Members

It sounds to me like you want en Eq more than a compressor...

Where do you see the place for the compressor in your chain and what do you want to achieve, soundwise? If you don't need more compression (and you shouldn't need more of it with the dirt on anyway), I don't really see the point for it. If you want to cut through the band's molasses, you need more mids, an Eq will deliever that. Or your Elements. In my humble opinion: No. Don't.

But get another delay, you can't have too much delay.
;)

Really I don't want anything special. I just wanna try it because I heard one make distortion sound really really good. Perhaps more sustain will result from it. :idk:

If I don't like it, I shall sell it.

• Members

I think if you already love your sound, adding more stuff isn't necessarily the way to go. I've learned over years of intense pedal nerdery that - contrary to GAS - simpler almost always equals better. Cluttering your sound with extra circuits and signal effects for subtle, and, sometimes, unnecessary tone "improvements" often ends up messing with your inherently great sound. And, as far as buffers go, you have one in your EHX SMMH if I'm not mistaken - so the stand alone one may be redundant.

• Members

I think if you already love your sound, adding more stuff isn't necessarily the way to go. I've learned over years of intense pedal nerdery that - contrary to GAS - simpler almost always equals better. Cluttering your sound with extra circuits and signal effects for subtle, and, sometimes, unnecessary tone "improvements" often ends up messing with your inherently great sound. And, as far as buffers go, you have one in your EHX SMMH if I'm not mistaken - so the stand alone one may be redundant.

Oh I hear ya. Not sure if the SMMH is buffered or true, but I do know that without my standalone box, I experience a lot of high end loss/tone suck. The buffer in the 616 doesn't really do the trick either. The standalone one does. I've a/b/c tested various configs, and it does it's job well. Sounds identical to if I plug straight in with a 6' cable.

I totally get what you mean about over-complicating, and I agree. However, really, I'll just be replacing one always on circuit with another so really, I will be roughly the same amount of circuits, though I'm sure the comp has more components than the buffer.

I'll try it, if I don't like it, out it goes.

Really though, my rig is QUITE simple. My gigging guitars have two pickups, a switch, and volume, then there's my board which I believe 3 pedals is the most I ever have on at any time and that's seldom, then my amp which is a single channel, clean, 50w head. No rack gear, nothing in the loop... pretty straight forwards.

So, basically, I agree with you completely, but I just feel like tryin it out ya know? :thu:

Archived