ABY Boxes and stereo setups...

Poltergeist

• Members

Well, i know i've made a similar thread a while ago, and i'll be as short and clear as i can be, but be reminded that i'm a total noob on the subject.

I want to run this setup and a friend of mine offered to make me one for next to nothing, but i'm just making sure that i'm getting what's right for me:

Guitar > pedalboard > Acoustic 230 at 8ohms and a Marshall JMP at 16ohms.

I have no isolated outputs on my power supply and have no plans on getting a different one, because this one has always treated me right.

I'm thinking of sending the signal from my DD-5 into the Acoustic and from the DD-5 into an Boss FRV-1 into a Dano Reel Echo and into the Marshall.

I'm thinking about something like this:

http://www.thomann.de/pt/tonebone_aby.htm

But i've heard about some tone sucking issues while using it. This is something that i cannot afford to have for what i'm doing right now, i'm looking for something that doesn't eat up tone.

I'm thinking something like that with isolated outputs? Would that solve any possible issues with the non-iso outputs on the power supply, etc.?

Thanks!

so would that Radial work well, do you think?

It should, but like I said, I have no first-hand experience with that particular unit.

if i had one of them Ebtech things would i be able to run just that and the stereo out from the DD-5 into the second amp without encountering issues?

That's what they say, but again, I have not personally used one - just plug ONE amp into an Ebtech Hum X and it should kill the ground loop isseue - all you need to do at that point is feed each amp a separate output from a stereo pedal - the DD-5 should be fine.

• Members

I said this before but I'll say it again... If you're gonna run pedals after the aby box and you don't plan to upgrade your power supply, there's no point splashing out on an isolation transformer because your power supply is gonna ensure that the grounds are connected on both amps anyway. The only way it's worth it is if you power the pedals after the split on isolated power sources.

• Members

Bones-TwinCity-34-dds-540.jpg

This is what I use too, works a treat. The only downside compared to the Lehle little dual (which I used prior to this one) is that the Lehle gives you A B inputs too, so you can do stereo, whereas the Radial is only mono in. In its favour though, the Radial's switches feel better to me - the Lehle switches from a/b when you press DOWN on the switch, but when it's on B it doesn't switch back to A until you lift your foot UP off the pedal. Sounds like a minor gripe, but it does make switching back a little less tight than I'd like. Also with the Radial when in Y mode, the A and B LEDs tell you which amp will be on when you come out of Y mode. Again, it sounds like a small thing but a couple of times using the Lehle live I couldn't remember whether when I stopped using both amps at once it'd be the clean or distorted amp that sound kept coming out of.

• Members

I don't recommend the BigShot if you want to drive 2 amps at the same time. It's not buffered so as soon as you kick in that second amp your signal to the first amp gets cut in half. It works fine as an amp switcher but in my opinion the "both" button is useless .

Maybe you had a broken one? Mine definitely does not cut anything.

• Members

If you don't need leds then get the Bigshot. It kills ground loops and fixes any phase issues. I got mine for 65 with a make an offer on ebay. I don't see any reason to try anything more expensive because this does everything I'll ever need it to do.

• Members

I'm using a Radial A/B/Y bigshot. The lack of leds can be a pain, but other than that the build quality is solid, and the ground lift does it's job nicely. Compact, sturdy, no useless frills and gizmo's, not in the Lehle price range...Good enough for me:idk:

Archived