Let's Discuss Elliott Smith

ILOVEMYFENDER

• Members

My Elliot Smith fandom knows no bounds.

edit: and I don't care that he was ripping off Nick Drake and The Beatles the entire time.

He's John George and Nick rolled into one super person.

I hadn't listened to him for years until recently when my friend's roommate started listening to all his stuff. Listened to Roman Candle on my way home tonight.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He was dating the guy from weezer's ex-gf, right? I started listening to him right before my sophmore year of high school, only to find out a couple weeks in, that he had died about 2 weeks before I started listening to him, was sort of the first time my musical world shattered.

• Members

Man I love Elliott. Such a good song writer and the dude ripped on guitar.

Not to mentioned loved the dl4 and top hat amps. It doesn't get much cooler.

At this moment figure 8 is my favoriteeeeeee, but that tends to change every once in awhile.

All the albums are so good and have so much to offer. You do catch new things in them a lot.

actually the Elliott Smith facebook page is pretty awesome and updates with the newest videos that still get posted onto youtube.

This one was just put up a week or so ago

So sick!! :love: :love:

[video=youtube;GqZUwWMEEEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqZUwWMEEEc

• Members

this is the best i've heard him. i keep revisiting his stuff hoping i'll get it, but it never clicks with me. i've only got the album where a dude's falling off of a building, has needle inthe hay on it.

me too. the way people talk about him i keep trying to like it, giving it multiple attempts, several albums etc. just sounds like wandering, directionless acousticrap random coffee shop artist to me. :idk:

• Members

I think it's pretty common that when people commit suicide it's often when they seem to be 'pulling out of it' and look like they're doing better. Not to say that's exactly what happened, but really when someone has a really serious lifetime problem with mental health having a short period of better mood isn't an indication that something bad won't happen.

This is pretty correct. Not to get too personal, but I've been there, and if there's a time when you're doing better and get worse, it makes everything seem a lot more hopeless. It's also very easy for people to think that someone is doing better because they decide to show their emotions less. Just because someone seems better, doesn't mean that they actually are.

As for Elliott Smith, the first time I heard his music, I didn't like it. I gave him another shot a year or two later and thought a little better of it, but still didn't get really into him. I'm not really sure why, maybe it's his voice, or maybe I need to give him another shot. My overall opinion is that he's decent, occasionally good, but ultimately kind of a second-rate Nick Drake. Not a lot of people were doing what he was at the time, though, so I do respect him doing what he did.

• Members

He's a lot more versatile than people give him credit for.

He's certainly a lot more than an acoustic touting sad second rate Nick Drake.

Give his electric stuff another shot.

He's incredibly talented and very good at producing as well.

QFT.

It's hard for me to even try and pin down a top 5 list of my favorite Elliott Smith songs. Really wish that guy were still around making music.

• Members

I guess this is blasphemy, but I like Elliott Smith way way more than Nick Drake.

Not in my book it isn't. I put them tied at top but could see why someone would have one over the other. It's just every time I think I've changed my mind from one to the other I remember all sorts of songs that are amazing and decide to just call it a wash.

• Members

I guess this is blasphemy, but I like Elliott Smith way way more than Nick Drake.

I understand the comparison between the two but they are so different at the same time. Elliott just had a longer period of time to extend his catalogue, especially in the realms of XO and Figure 8.

• Members

While much of their music is melancholy and utilises acoustic guitar I don't really see much overlap between Nick Drake and Elliott Smith. The lyrical themes and imagery aren't particularly similar - Drake's lyrics were a lot more abstract and pastoral. Although they were both very dexterous fingerpickers the actual techniques and tunings seem to differ quite a bit. I think it's also pretty obvious that Smith came from a much more pop/rock background and even his lo-fi recordings often feature vocal harmonies. I don't think Drake used vocal harmonies much at all but the songs on his first two albums often had orchestral arrangements, something else that I don't really associate much with Elliott Smith.

Archived