Ryder Cup......bye bye USA bye bye

ollenorin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Golf is so dependent on the technology available to the players now it's not funny. It is a game of skill, not a 'sport' IMO. And I grew up playing and still do from time to time. And I still suck at it.

those are just selling points for weekend hackers, so they'll buy new clubs.

the technology in golf moves at a snails pace, if you compare it to say, recording technology.

the only real advancements have been in shafts and ball material.

irons wedges and putters are still pretty much the same.

if it were true that "game improvement" clubs and balls actually did work, all these weekend hackers would actually be shooting lower scores.

guess what? they're not.

• Members

the technology in golf moves at a snails pace, if you compare it to say, recording technology.

if it were true that "game improvement" clubs and balls actually did work, all these weekend hackers would actually be shooting lower scores.

guess what? they're not.

hey bro, after 14 mulligans, i was able to shoot a 115 this weekend, aight?

• Members

guess what? they're not.

I believe the PGA are looking at more of a level playing field. FOr instance, standardising balls for each tournament.

And technology has improved immensely- look at things like hybrid irons, big headed metal graphite shafted drivers.....

• Members

the most important statistic in this thread is the amount of times i've shown you and your entire race to be living in the stone age. go get yourself a gun and win a war, then come talk to me.

i have no need to reply to such idiocy, although I do wonder what is so lacking in your life to want to carry a lethal weapon.

• Members

guess what? they're not.

Pass the Cohiba, son - I believe you've had enough. lol

• Members
well, the Parker Fly is a technically advanced guitar, does it make you play better?

and bogey'n that and pass it back

Whitey please. :rolleyes:

Hit a wood persimmon from the 1920's vs. any run-of-the-mill over-sized driver from today and measure the results.

Steel shaft forged iron from the '50s vs. a perimeter-weighted graphite shaft.

It's absolutely no contest.

• Members

Whitey please.
:rolleyes:

Hit a wood persimmon from the 1920's vs. any run-of-the-mill over-sized driver from today and measure the results.

Steel shaft forged iron from the '50s vs. a perimeter-weighted graphite shaft.

It's absolutely no contest.

He's got you beat, Reauch; ya might wanna quit before digging any deeper. A few of the (legal) advances in golf equipment over the last two decades:

460cc titanium driver heads - bigger, more durable clubface is easier to hit the ball, heavier clubhead makes the ball go farther and straighter

Graphite shafts - easy distance for slower swing speeds

Cavity backed irons - consistent flight/distance despite off center hits

Metal woods - consistent manufacturing methods and materials for greater distance and accuracy for off-center hits

Hybrids - a new club that didn't even exist a decade ago replaces long irons, the most difficult clubs to hit purely

Forged irons and wedges - solid piece of metal shaped to a clubhead

Customizable wedges with varying degrees of loft and bounce - create clubs that work better for certain situations (sand, gap, lob, flop, chip, etc)

Rubber and rosin core balls - some balls now have up to 5 layers each of which applies to different shots in your bag

Hexagonal dimple ball pattern - creates a consistent spin which equates to distance and accuracy

Last but not least, coolers in your golf bag - to keep your beers cold the whole round and not get your ice chest taken by the marshall...

Don't even get me started on some of the older advances like clubface grooves, Surlyn ball covers, or even the amount of illegal golf aids available nowadays. I've been playing since the early 90s and my game has drastically improved, largely thanks to technology. I'm supposed to get worse as I get older and lose mobility, but the gear I own is helping my game's shortcomings immensely. :thu:

Archived