How many of you dudes have local small guitar shops that you frequent?

guitardustin

• Members

Basically other than guitar center and sam-ash or your typical walmart of guitar type stores that you go to just for random accessories, setups brochats etc?

I'll admit I've never bought a guitar at a small mom and pop type shop but I try and make a point to get all my strings/picks/accessories and all of my guitar work and amp work done at a couple shops around here.

There's one store about a mile from my apartment that always gives me a bro deal on strings because I go in a lot, usually only a dollar or two off but I can appreciate the fact that my money goes to a small local business. They've done repairs for me in the past too that should have cost a lot more than they charged me.

Are any of you guys subjected to only guitar center cities?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm fortunate enough to have a really good local shop that has a better selection of guitars then either Sam's Ass or Guitar Center. Ey also recently upgraded their pedal selection so I'll probably wind up picking up a pedal I might have bought online.

• Members

I have a cool little shop right next door to my office. I go there a lot, owner knows me well. I also have one of the top 5 vintage guitar stores one block from my office. And another local shop just as close. Funny thing is, I don't have a GC close to me at all. I was in Sam Ash and Rudys in NYC last week. Neither do that much for me anymore, although Rudy has a nice selection of pedals, and some very nice guitars. But the place is claustrophobically small.

Here's a pic of Rumbleseat Vintage Guitar:

clickbuttonbirdbiggertype.jpg

• Members

I have a bunch of great local places within a one hour driving radius of my house. Two that specialize in boutique effects and one that always has a very nice selection of vintage gear. It's pretty awesome and I really have no need/ want to go to the big box stores.

• Members

We've got a local place literally called Joe's Guitars. It's a little pricier than a major chain but I like going there a lot of times cause it's right near my house and they only carry good stuff. Fender, gibson, guild, blackstar, seymour duncan, etc. Plus I'd spend as much on gas driving to guitar center and back an hour away as I would just paying the extra five bucks or something at Joe's and Joe is a cool guy.

• Members

Centerville Music. In and of itself, it's nothing special (mediocre guitars and amps). But it just happens to be where Mark Kaiser works out of - Mark is one of the best guitar luthiers in the world. He does all of my setups and repair work. He's only there on Saturdays, and the line is always out the door. Check out Fret Repair by Mark if you're ever in the area on a Saturday! www.fretrepairbymark.com/

• Members

There's one in town that specializes in vintage gear. Great selection, but I can't afford anything but strings there. The other spot has low end gear, as well as all kinds of exotic instruments and a ton of sheet music. They've also got a more laid back attitude.

• Members

Ebay killed all the fun of going to the mom and pop shops. I used to stop in at least 3-4 a week looking for cool used stuff until the late 90's. Since the economy went south, it's more fun to look again, but the good used stuff has only dropped in price from the ludicrous to the merely ridiculous.

• Members

There are more local shops in Houston than there were in Dallas (where I moved here from). I found a pretty decent place--Rockin' Robin. They were the first guys in my area to have the VM offsets and I bought my VM Mustang there. First guitar I've bought at a local shop (other than the Arbor Explorer-type guitar my parents bought for me back in the 80s). I've been treated well the few times I've been in there and they have a lot of used stuff, too, albeit at higher prices than what GC charges for used stuff.

http://www.rockinrobinguitars.com

• Members

There is a great shop 15 mins. from me, they have all the major brands and a good luthier. I've also got a one man shop 5 mins down the road that is crammed with sheet music, books, strings and low end guitars. Closest Guitar Center is half an hour, I rarely go there unless I can't get something local, or I'm in the neighborhood for other reasons.

Archived