Question about XLR cables vs adapters

nousername

• Members

The little box from amazon arrived today containing a shiny new TC Helicon Harmony GT-X. It's going to be used in the five piece band as an effect pedal, plus in a duo I'm working on with the singer. Her on vox, me on acoustic and (light) bgv. My guitar will be mic'd, then it MUST run into the pedal for the harmony effect to function.

Guitar > SM58 > std mic cable > adapter > pedal. The pedal can do mixing.

Or guitar > SM58 > fancy-pants female XLR~1/4" male cable > pedal.

The pedal has 1/4" input and "thru" jacks for a guitar. My guitar is acoustic only, so no 1/4" jack. Question:

What are the advantages of http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWP047AA/

vs

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BPBQXF10/

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

you should get a pickup for your guitar. live micing an acoustic with a 58 sounds like it would be a pain.

Highly recommend LR BAGGS m1 (passive or active don't matta)

I would be worried that that planet waves adapter would be hard on the jacks on that pedal. The cable would work better.

• Members

you should get a pickup for your guitar. live micing an acoustic with a 58 sounds like it would be a pain.

Highly recommend LR BAGGS m1 (passive or active don't matta)

I would be worried that that planet waves adapter would be hard on the jacks on that pedal. The cable would work better.

I'd consider buying a better guitar before adding a pickup. That model is worth more than the guitar. Fender DG-8S...

Thanks.

• Members

I'd consider buying a better guitar before adding a pickup. That model is worth more than the guitar. Fender DG-8S...

Thanks.

the pickup is removable and installed without modification, and would sound better than many systems that you can get pre-installed in a better guitar.

• Members

the concern with the mic into the harmonizer thing, is that the harmonizer doesn't have enough gain to handle a mic in that input. So the signal will be very weak, possibly even weak enough that it won't work at all.

The better solution, would be to route the guitar input side through the mixer your using live. Like if you had an effects send on the mixer, you could send it to the harmonizer and back into the mixer, and mix in guitar signal into that channel.

The cable has the advantage, since it gives you the proper connector at each end and doesn't put additional weight (and therefore potential stress) on the 1/4" instrument input on the TC. A regular XLR -> XLR cable plus the Planet Waves adapter will work, and the Planet Waves stuff is really first-rate (I use several of their adapters), but I look at them as handy problem solvers as opposed to permanent solutions. I'm thankful to have widgets like that when I need them in order to solve a unexpected problem, but I'd rather use the correct cable to begin with if I know about it in advance. Another reason why? It's one thing less to lose at (or worse, forget to take to) a gig.

the concern with the mic into the harmonizer thing, is that the harmonizer doesn't have enough gain to handle a mic in that input. So the signal will be very weak, possibly even weak enough that it won't work at all.

Excellent point! Here's where we run into the real issue. That SM58 isn't designed to drive that input, and lacks sufficient level to do so. You'll get everything plugged in and it won't track what chords you're playing. You'd need to run the mic into a preamp and feed the line out of that into the instrument input on the TC. You might need to pad that line level signal down a bit, since it's a touch hotter than instrument level... but you can do that at the preamp - just drop it down a bit on the output level, or instead, consider using a direct output from the PA's mixing board...

The better solution, would be to route the guitar input side through the mixer your using live. Like if you had an effects send on the mixer, you could send it to the harmonizer and back into the mixer, and mix in guitar signal into that channel.

:phil:

Actually, instead of using the effects send, the way I think I would run it would be:

guitar + mic -> mixer input (mic pre)

Channel direct out (or a 1/4" TS cable plugged "1/2 way in" on the channel insert's TRS send / return jack - assuming the board supports one of these) -> instrument in on the TC.

For the lead vocal, I'd probably run mic -> TC => stereo out into two channels on the mixing board.

Alternatively, I'd recommend using the TC as it was designed to operate. ;)

Guitar pickup -> TC's instrument in, TC's through output -> guitar processors and amp (or direct box -> PA)

Or, if you prefer the sound of a mic, you could ADD Guitar mic -> Mixer / PA to the above

Vocal mic -> TC's input

TC's Output -> PA

:wave:

• Members

Unless you are extremely good at not moving at all, thus keeping the guitar/guitar mic positions very stable, the TC will have tracking problems trying to create harmonies from the dude chatting up his GF at the table next to you. Get a sound-hole pickup, they don't cost any more than the SM-58.

• Members

Still trying to confirm, but as far as I understand the pedal has an option to make the guitar silent but still allow for the chords to allow the harmony function of the pedal. In other words, I think I'll end up buying a sound hole pickup, run that into the pedal, set the guitar knob to off, then use an SM58 to send the guitar sound through the mixer. I can't be sure all venues will have a mixer with the needed inputs/outputs.

I have to make it work with the most basic of mixers before we arrive to perform.

• Members

Still trying to confirm, but as far as I understand the pedal has an option to make the guitar silent but still allow for the chords to allow the harmony function of the pedal. In other words, I think I'll end up buying a sound hole pickup, run that into the pedal, set the guitar knob to off, then use an SM58 to send the guitar sound through the mixer. I can't be sure all venues will have a mixer with the needed inputs/outputs.

I have to make it work with the most basic of mixers before we arrive to perform.

if your concerned with whatever live mixer your using has the correct outputs, then you definatley should be using a soundhole pickup and going directly into the mixer using another 1/4 cable from the harmonizer. Generally with live mixers, your mix pres tend to be the channels that are in dire need. Wasting a mic pre when you could have a better sound with a soundhole pickup anyway is not the way to go. Mixers live, almost always have an unused 1/4 channel strip you can utilize.

buy a soundhole pickup, use product as intended. put sm58 away.

Archived