Line 6 DL4 Problem...

tablesalt

• Members

In loop mode, when I hit the 'Play Once' switch a few times the next switch ('Half Speed/Reverse') is sometimes activated. It usually happens after I've pushed the Play Once switch many times in a row (you do this to stutter the loop), but it sometimes happens even if you only push it once.

It's as if some stray voltage is building up from pushing the switch and once it reaches a certain level it activates the next switch.

It is a real problem because it messes up your loop compositions.

(I already tried getting it fixed by a guy who modded it, but it still has the problem.) Does anyone know specifically what might be wrong?

• Members

It did the same thing before the mods, but maybe it wasn't quite as bad (i.e. it wouldn't switch to half-speed/reverse quite as often). The mods included replacing the switches with better ones (previously one of the switches had stopped working altogether). The guy had a look at it with this specific problem and apparently wasn't able to resolve it so I guess nothing can be done, but I'm putting it out there anyway. I figure maybe, just maybe someone has had the same problem and knows what needs fixing.

• Members

Sounds to me like a cracked PCB... a stomp on one switch causes another to glitch the etch (and consequently, pf 2nd switch's flipflop.

Have a real Line6 technonerd look at it. The heat of the switch-repair could have made the intermittant error worse.

• Members

L6 added some plastic "guides" to the internal switch springs. Do you know if you have them? If your switches just have the springs under the stomp then you don't. If there is some type of sleeve for the spring then you are OK in this dept.

• Members

Player99 -- I don't know if it has plastic guides. I guess I could open it up and see...

lefort_1 -- I doubt it'd be that. The guy who repaired it would have said something.

Other news:

This is weirding me out! A lot of static was just coming off the DL4 when I touched it in certain places (lol)... like, if I just touched the switches it would buzz like it wasn't grounded or something. But then after I took it out of the pedal board and used it by itself and plugged it back in again, it was the next pedal (a cheap line selector) that was buzzing like crazy when touched. And now none of them do it :confused: but I noticed the output level of the DL4 was dropping right off when I pushed on the first switch--and I discovered it has nothing to do with the switch itself. It's the force of pushing down on the actual pedal; if you take the pedal in your hand and squeeze the bottom left corner (pretty hard), effectively pushing on the rubber backing, the volume drops off to almost nothing (!). I noticed the backing is screwed on with a little bow in it, not quite level.

I think this pedal is just old.

It seems like a shame to get a new one and use this as a backup since I had the mods done to it, but I guess that's what I'll have to do.

• Members

Don't be crazy. Take it apart and take lots of pictures as you go so you can put it back together. Look for loose wires, things not right, those spring guides... You must do this as a right of passage into guitar playerdom.

It would have to be cheaper to let the mod guy fix it than buy a new one... you can also pay for repair work at a L6 authorized repair center.

Archived