Is my Chicken Salad rehousing idea unpossible?

Ed Zachary

• Members

I want to put mine in a 3 knob BOSS enclosure and I don't care about true bypass.

My basic plan is:

Gut the BOSS pedal except for the switch and jacks.

Remove the daughterboard from the Chicken Salad and use the DC input and instrument jacks from the BOSS, just run wires from them to the CS main board. Same deal with the switch, remove the CS switch and run wires from the BOSS switch to the CS pcb.

Replace the BOSS pots with the correct values for the CS, using the third knob to replace the trim pot on the CS board.

Live long and prosper.

Is it that simple?

• Members

Well, you have to remove the jacks from the BOSS board, which is kind of a pain, but soldering wires to a Dano is a bit rough. They're very tiny micro boards not designed to be modded. If it was something more traditional, like a Fuzz Face, or even a 70s EHX effect, you'd have no problem. Making the switch work will also be tricky. It's a tiny little thing, and I think they're hard wired to the circuit itself.

All I know, is that it's gonna be a lot of difficult soldering. People have done it, and maybe they'll be able to tell you more.

• Members

Cool,thanks. If it is too much of a bitch I'll blow it off and leave the CS stock. It isn't like I do world tours or anything where I need a heavy duty enclosure. The BOSS will be here in a few days; I guess I'll look it over and decide from there.

• Members

Well, you have to remove the jacks from the BOSS board, which is kind of a pain,
but soldering wires to a Dano is a bit rough. They're very tiny micro boards not designed to be modded. If it was something more traditional, like a Fuzz Face, or even a 70s EHX effect, you'd have no problem. Making the switch work will also be tricky. It's a tiny little thing, and I think they're hard wired to the circuit itself.

All I know, is that it's gonna be a lot of difficult soldering. People have done it, and maybe they'll be able to tell you more.

really? every Boss pedal I've ever seen has flying leads to the jacks, I've never seen a Boss pedal with board mounted jacks.

• Members

really? every Boss pedal I've ever seen has flying leads to the jacks, I've never seen a Boss pedal with board mounted jacks.

Ya I think maybe he meant the Dano board cause the Danos all have the jacks to the PCBs - and yeah, most Boss jacks aren't soldered to the PCB.

to the OP - it depends on how big the Dano PCB is - guessing def not as big as a boss board. Plus you have to remove the Pots and get ones that are threaded to be able to be attached to the Boss chassis.

I imagine the switch will be the same - a 2 lug switch, should just be able to solder the switch wires from the Boss switch to the Dano...

Archived