Favorite U2 record and why?

TravvyBear

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's Achtung Baby for me. I feel like that's the first album where they really started playing around with all kind of cool sounds and textures, and The Edge took a much less conventional approach with his guitar parts and tones. Also has the strongest collection of songs for my tastes too... it's the only U2 album where I won't skip any tracks.

• Members

achtung baby, one thing is i totally repsect the move they did, they could have ridden that RAH vibe for a few more albums or longer,

but Bono cut his hair, Edge listened to MBV, and Adam and Larry started getting funky. It was a totally unseen move for a band at the heights they were at...

and when i first heard the fly, i was into minstry, early nin, and like that, and it blew me away. the edges pallet of sounds got from beautiful

to incredible then...

• Members

Reasons:

"Wire" is U2's most rocking, surging, and cathartic recording. Ever try covering it live?

Even though there are audible layers of overdubs galore, I still very much hear a raw live band under all those layers feeling their way through the performances.

First album with the Eno/Lanois team who were working on 2 other masterpieces at the same time... The Pearl and Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks. Unforgettable Fire benefitted from those ambient and acoustic treatments to create U2's most impressionistic work without losing their live band origins.

Beautiful album cover art. Their best IMO.

Arguably their most innovative and influential album, a precursor to everything from OK Computer to X&Y.

This album is one of the soundtracks of my high school years. I learned to sing and play guitar to this album.

It is the last U2 album to sound almost purely European... any blues influences are indirect.

9339.png

• Members

Reasons:

"Wire" is U2's most rocking, surging, and cathartic recording. Ever try covering it live?

Even though there are audible layers of overdubs galore, I still very much hear a raw live band under all those layers feeling their way through the performances.

First album with the Eno/Lanois team who were working on 2 other masterpieces at the same time... The Pearl and Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks. Unforgettable Fire benefitted from those ambient and acoustic treatments to create U2's most impressionistic work without losing their live band origins.

Beautiful album cover art. Their best IMO.

Arguably their most innovative and influential album, a precursor to everything from OK Computer to X&Y.

This album is one of the soundtracks of my high school years. I learned to sing and play guitar to this album.

It is the last U2 album to sound almost purely European... any blues influences are indirect.

9339.png

that is a great, just great summary man!

• Members

it would be hard to pick one.

War has always been my go - to.

but Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, and even No Line on the Horizon,

those have all been very impressionistic in sound and production, (obviously the latter not so much)

their strongest album, 1st song to last would be Achtung vs. How to Dismantle

War just gets me because its visceral, i've ripped off alot of things from it.

I do think Fender's right though, UF and AB have prob influenced more albums in the last 25 years than anything else

• Members

i can not decide

war / under a blood red sky - i love the raw and early phase

joshua tree - not in love with all songs, but running to stand still and bullet the blue sky are my favorites

rattle and hum - love the movie and the album, it showed me so much new directions which where unknown to me at the time

achtung baby - first it was wtf? where is my old u2? what have u done? then after listening a couple of times came the WOW effect, thats still the u2 spirit but completely different, what a progress... it took me some time to understand, now its one of my all time favorite albums

zooropa - after the achtung baby surprise i expected some more changes, numb is hilarious, great songs and lyrics on it

pop - even more strange, but has its moments...

didn't care about the things that came afterwards... don't know if i should

should i?

• Members

Joshua Tree, barely, over Unforgettable Fire. Joshua Tree is one of few recordings in my life that I bought based on one song, then literally listened to it several times through simply blown away. Bullet the Blue Sky still raises the hair onmy arms. NOTHING from that era is as solid sonically as that record imho.

• Members

:wave::love:

i always wondered what their album after UF would have sounded like without the american influence.

of course, there wouldn't have been a Joshua Tree, but, the euro/ambient feel of UF extended and focused even more, i just wonder what it would have sounded like.

Archived