Recommend me a distortion that doesn't lose bass

gambit

• Members

using a Danelectro Drive v1 which keeps a lot of bottom end in it compared to my Rat, for example, but the breakup/gain isn't right to my ears.

i need something that keeps that deep girth, while not being a high-gain pedal. mostly for thick overdrive which can edge into distortion when pushed a bit with harder playing. like a Rat on half gain maybe..

But not a Rat, and under $100/

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BAXANDALL View Post
You want a distortion, not a fuzz, right?

I've been really jiving with my Hughes Kettner Warp Factor lately for distortion. It doesn't lose low end and has a built in sub octave that you can turn on and off and that is really fun to play with.
i have one of those smile.gif

it's next on the list to try, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't go low-gain enough. and it doesn't sound particularly 'transparent' with the gain right down (please don't jump on me for that adjective)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by WeStartToDrift View Post
HM-2. You're welcome.
that's my main dirt pedal in my bass rig, just awesome and it has huge bottom end. it's a love hate thing though for guitar, with me anyway.
surprisingly it does low gain fairly well, not very transparent though.
if it's low gain transparency you're after, check out a Colorsound OD Boost clone, Vintage FX, Smitty Pedals, Monsterpiece all make them.
not what I'd call a "distortion" pedal though, they turn into a (great sounding) fuzz with the gain maxed.
not sure there's many actual "distortion" pedals that do low gain well.

what's with this on topic shiz?

• Members

I've been through a ton of dirt peds myself, and for what you're describing I think a H&K tube factor might work. It's not super high gain, and it takes up way more floor space than the regular boss/mxr, so I ended up selling it. Which I now kinda regret, cause replacing it with something similar and smaller wasn't as easy as I assumed:s

Anyway, I don't even know if the tube is just marketing/myth, but the tone factor definatelly has the sort of dynamics and low end oomph you'd normally only expect from an amp. None of pedals I tried since then managed to do that, and some of those were rather nice and pricey. It can also go into medium high gain territory, but imo it really shines when you roll the gain a little bit back. Creamy gnarly crunch, that as far as I know isn't mimmicking any amp in particular. Don't know if I'd call it transparant, it's basicly a thick sounding two channel distortion, I wouldn't mind owning another one someday.

I know you're sorta sick of the rat, but have you ever tried a ruetz'd turbo rat? Still more than enough gain for what you seem to like, and the ruetz mod will fix most of the bass suckage. Best of both worlds imo, and not too expensive either.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe View Post
no boss? well, im not gonna help if hes gonna be closed minded.

also, ive played both. the od3 has more gain on tap and i dont think they sound that similar. to overlook the od3 would be a lame mistake.
not a case of being closed-minded. i've had the OD-3 and all the other Boss pedals other than an SD-1, but i know that's not what i'm after.

..oh, and the COSM stuff.. because it all sounds gash smile.gif so yeah, maybe a bit closed-minded icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
I've been through a ton of dirt peds myself, and for what you're describing I think a H&K tube factor might work. It's not super high gain, and it takes up way more floor space than the regular boss/mxr, so I ended up selling it. Which I now kinda regret, cause replacing it with something similar and smaller wasn't as easy as I assumed:s

Anyway, I don't even know if the tube is just marketing/myth, but the tone factor definatelly has the sort of dynamics and low end oomph you'd normally only expect from an amp. None of pedals I tried since then managed to do that, and some of those were rather nice and pricey. It can also go into medium high gain territory, but imo it really shines when you roll the gain a little bit back. Creamy gnarly crunch, that as far as I know isn't mimmicking any amp in particular. Don't know if I'd call it transparant, it's basicly a thick sounding two channel distortion, I wouldn't mind owning another one someday.

I know you're sorta sick of the rat, but have you ever tried a ruetz'd turbo rat? Still more than enough gain for what you seem to like, and the ruetz mod will fix most of the bass suckage. Best of both worlds imo, and not too expensive either.
i was reading something recently where the Tube Factor was part of the guys main sound.. My Bloody Valentine maybe?

i'l give it another listen.

but yeah, i've tried the Turbo and several Rats and clones, modded and un-modded, BYOC etc. None of them sounds quite right for the job.. and at the moment i have a 90's bog box one in the other part of my signal chain already doing overdrivey stuff.

• Members

I really like the Yellow Drive by T-Rex because it's a dual overdrive pedal you can get for cheap; about $125 at GC. It's basically a tubescreamer and Rat type sounding pedal that sounds really good live. Why it's not more popular I don't know. It only has a tone control though so you might want to look for a pedal with better EQ options. Just thought I'd recommend it because it's one of my cheap favorites.

Almost forgot - Lovepedal Kalamazoo has a lot of bottom end if you set it that way. It's another one of my favorites and sounds like a Klon according to many people that have it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gambit View Post
i have one of those smile.gif

it's next on the list to try, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't go low-gain enough. and it doesn't sound particularly 'transparent' with the gain right down (please don't jump on me for that adjective)
No you're right. It colors the tone. If transparent is what you need find a used Pharaoh. I know it's a fuzz but it has the ability to sound like a distortion and doesn't color your tone and can go low gain pretty nicely.

• Members

no boss? well, im not gonna help if hes gonna be closed minded.

also, ive played both. the od3 has more gain on tap and i dont think they sound that similar. to overlook the od3 would be a lame mistake.

I owned both for a short period. I bought the Cool Cat Drive, played it and thought, this sounds familiar, plugged in my OD-3, A/B'd them side by side. they were so close, if I remember correctly I couldn't tell them apart, so I returned Cool Cat Drive. just sayin

• Members

RAT with the gain at noon and the filter at 3 o'clock.

I have no lack of low end with that setup.

As for a recommendation- the MXR Custom Badass Modified overdrive might work. It's not very high gain BUT, the drive is smooth, you can dial in a ton of bass with the 100hz knob and it sounds particularly good into an overdriven amp. Like I said- the pedal doesn't have a ton of gain, but using it to boost an amp really works well.

• Members

not a case of being closed-minded. i've had the OD-3 and all the other Boss pedals other than an SD-1, but i know that's not what i'm after.

..oh, and the COSM stuff.. because it all sounds gash
:)
so yeah, maybe a bit closed-minded
:lol:

To be fair, with a few exceptions, cosm distortion does sound like poopoo.

Have you tried a Fulltone? Ocd, distortion pro, etc?

Archived