2x12 combos: What are you guys using?

Cisco

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by lolque?

View Post

Pulling two tubes in a V4/VT-22, while it'll function, is a really bad idea. You'll go through those tubes SO incredibly fast you won't even know what hit you. I know this from experience icon_lol.gif

Did you adjust the output impedance? I believe you have to halve the impedance of the cab/speakers.

• Members

I have a Mesa Express 5:50. Had it for years and still love it to death. Fender cleans, dirt goes from as subtle to as wild as you want it, great reverb. My only gripe is the EQ isn't quite varied enough for me but I always have an EQ pedal at hand anyway. Switchable from 5 to 50 watts which makes apartment life and band practice easy. I just love it. Couldn't recommend it more.

Got mine $800 used.

• Members

I'm normally kinda meh towards mesa stuff, but I'd love to try out a Lonestar. Not that I wanna/can spend that kinda money on an amp though.

Had a SF twin. Too loud, too clean, too old/unreliable. Also had an AC30C1X. Too loud for home use, but if my current main amp ever {censored}s the bed, I'm getting me another blue alnico equiped AC30 in a heartbeat.

I use two separate 15-20W 1x12 amps. One is an AC15cc with a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo, the other a Fender Princeton II with a extremely efficient (read: LOUD) EV in it. Between the two, I have 35W that sounds like 50, two twelves, plus the ability to run stereo effects. Another bonus is that Fender and Vox amps running together sound very good. smile.gif

How much do you have in the budget for this non-Fender, non-Vox 2x12 amp?

• Members

I have a V4 and had a VT-22 with Altec speakers I ended up selling cause I needed the money. I recapped it and replaced a lot of worn components. Amp sounded amazing. Heavy as {censored} though so I recommend never leaving the house with it or getting a hand cart. I prefer the VT-22 over a Twin any day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

if you can find a Hylight Hiwatt 2x12 (or 1x12), those are pretty insane.

Hen's teeth, compadre. I looked.

My heads are Hylight's, and while these newer units don't have the moaj, the sound is there. The Fanes are a big part of the equation. I was wary of the whole Music Ground connection, but I was borrowing a JMI AC-30 a while back and the thing oozed quality. The Burgs demos and the fact that my local guy is intimately familiar with Hiwatts made it a no-brainer.

• Members

I use Bruno Underground 30's. I have 2, one with 3 10's and the other with 2 12" bulldog blues. Amazing when using both in stereo.

I have some other vintage amps but pretty much stick with the Bruno's.

Three 10's?

• Members

Hen's teeth, compadre. I looked.

My heads are Hylight's, and while these newer units don't have the moaj, the sound is there. The Fanes are a big part of the equation. I was wary of the whole Music Ground connection, but I was borrowing a JMI AC-30 a while back and the thing oozed quality. The Burgs demos and the fact that my local guy is intimately familiar with Hiwatts made it a no-brainer.

Why not just get a 2x12 cab?

Archived