Zoom G5 --> PA no worky, help a noob

digitalox

• Members

Could my Zoom be defective or am I doing something dumb here?

I just got the Zoom G5 and have been happy with it so far. I've been playing it through my amp and my Boss JS-8.

So I made/copied some of the patches all orderly like into a few banks and headed to a friends house to rehearse for a gig. I connected the XLR out to his Fender Passport PA. When I switched to my distortion patches, they sounded all clean. I rebooted it, same thing. Took it home and ran out the 1/4 in. to amp as usual as its back to normal!

This is one of my gigs so I don't have much experience with this, especially PAs.

Thanks
Scott

• Members

There's often a switch on the PA input channel to switch between a mic input and a line input, or there's a separate input jack for line inputs on the channel. You want a line input, not a mic. I'm sure the Zoom XLR outs are *line*, but the XLR inputs on the PA are probably *mic* inputs. Not a match.
smile.gif

• Members

If you're using the XLR output, there's a pre/post switch on the back. You want it set to 'post' so the XLR is coming after your FX.

It's there in case people want to tap an unaffected signal from before the unit as a DI or whatever.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If you're using the XLR output, there's a pre/post switch on the back. You want it set to 'post' so the XLR is coming after your FX.

It's there in case people want to tap an unaffected signal from before the unit as a DI or whatever.
This is the answer.

Archived