Price check: '72 Gibson Deluxe LP

IRG

• Members

I keep getting LP gas bad, but only if I sell my tele, which likely won't happen. Although I'm definitely falling into the Gibson camp lately, not Fender.

But my local shop has a '72 LP Deluxe, which I believe had mini buckers in it, but this has been modified (I assume) to full size buckers. So that must reduce its value considerably. I haven't played it yet, but what would you guess the price on this to be as is? Pic:

72GibsonLesPaulDeluxeGoldtop.jpg

• Members

Wow, that's a wild coincidence Mr. Benn. Do you live any where close by? The store is about 1/2 block from my office, way too tempting sometimes. I like this one too, although it's a pretty recent model:

06GibsonLesPaulStandardTSB.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mhuxtable View Post
$2k max

Without the mod, I'm sure it would fetch quite a bit more, no? Of course depending on the playability, etc. I actually would prefer the regular humbuckers over the mini's so it's a good mod for me, just hurts the resale.

• Members
$2k max

Without the mod, I'm sure it would fetch quite a bit more, no? Of course depending on the playability, etc. I actually would prefer the regular humbuckers over the mini's so it's a good mod for me, just hurts the resale.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74

View Post

I don't even dig the crazy relic Tele you have, but I wouldn't dump a custom shop Telecaster for any les paul.

I doubt I will either, but I'm a big LP and SG fan. And the 335 models are building more gas too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
I keep getting LP gas bad, but only if I sell my tele, which likely won't happen. Although I'm definitely falling into the Gibson camp lately, not Fender.

But my local shop has a '72 LP Deluxe, which I believe had mini buckers in it, but this has been modified (I assume) to full size buckers. So that must reduce its value considerably. I haven't played it yet, but what would you guess the price on this to be as is? Pic:

72GibsonLesPaulDeluxeGoldtop.jpg
I need this.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
Wow, that's a wild coincidence Mr. Benn. Do you live any where close by? The store is about 1/2 block from my office, way too tempting sometimes. I like this one too, although it's a pretty recent model:

06GibsonLesPaulStandardTSB.jpg
Dublin Ireland icon_lol.gif

I was just cruising the site like I do once in a while! (I'd love an ES-330)

• Members

Yeah I thought you were in Ireland. My sister lives in Wexford, but they have a place in Dublin too (rented to my brother-in-law's sister). I've been to Dublin a couple of times, not too recently though. Need to visit again soon.

• Members
There's a local guy selling an all original LP Deluxe that looks in great shape....he's been asking $2k for weeks now, and it's still on CL
Sometimes people don't recognize a friggin' bargain when they see one.

Depends on the year and the construction. Seems like $2k is the minimum for a decent example from any era and it only goes up from there - really nice late '60s/early '70s Deluxes can fetch $5k or more.

I would check to see if that is indeed a rout job - Gibson made some 'Standard Deluxes' back then and they're worth more than a 'regular' Deluxe with Minis.

If they are asking $2k for that and it's a rout job I'd wanna know more about the build (Is it a pancake body, Maple or Mahogany neck, etc).

• Members

Good advice, I might have to check it out. I'm guessing it was a route job, don't know what pickups are in it either. But certainly worth checking out. I try and stay out of there though, just too much damn temptation biggrin.gif

Quote Originally Posted by erksin View Post
Sometimes people don't recognize a friggin' bargain when they see one.

Depends on the year and the construction. Seems like $2k is the minimum for a decent example from any era and it only goes up from there - really nice late '60s/early '70s Deluxes can fetch $5k or more.

I would check to see if that is indeed a rout job - Gibson made some 'Standard Deluxes' back then and they're worth more than a 'regular' Deluxe with Minis.

If they are asking $2k for that and it's a rout job I'd wanna know more about the build (Is it a pancake body, Maple or Mahogany neck, etc).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob View Post
from what i've seen the Goldtop deluxes fetch a little more than the burst, wine red, ones. but i agree with the estimates.
They got this one too, pretty nice. Thought you'd like it. It's a reissue though, a '99. Pretty nice SG for under $1500:
99GibsonSG61RICherry.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

View Post

yep, my buddy has a "standard deluxe". factory fullsize humbucker rout. has the standard label on truss-rod, but a "deluxe" sticker on back of headstock.

Right - I couldn't remember if it had 'Standard' on the truss cover or if it was just blank.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by erksin View Post
If it's a real '72, it'll be pancake and have a 'Hog neck. I guess it depends on what pups are in it, but if the job was well done I think $2k is a fair price.
What's a 'pancake' and I'm assuming a Hog neck is large? Or something other.

Seems odd that a Deluxe would have buckers and be called a Deluxe, when really I thought (probably incorrectly) that the main difference was that a Standard has regular buckers, the Deluxe has minis. Or are there other differences with a Deluxe vs. a Standard?

Archived