Pedal power supplies, what do you use?

Neilrocks25

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A couple of one spots. Haven't tried anything else, just needed a fairly safe and noiseless way to power my pedals as cheap as possible.
Ten pedals should be doable with two one spots, unless it's all gigantic digital delay modelers or whatever...idn_smilie.gif

• Members

I had good luck w/ a OneSpot - I think I had like 14 pedals going at one time. Then I moved to the PP2+ and have been really happy w/ it. But I've had no luck powering my El Cap or my DMMTT with it so I'm looking to either get another unit of some sort to power those, or a different unit altogether that can power all of the pedals I want it to. Decisions, decisions.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven View Post
Thread, you have my attention. snacks.gif

I'm also looking for a decent power solution, I need to power a Whammy plus an M9, so I'll need more than just a courtesy outlet. They're so expeeeeeensive, these things. Bahhh.
If it's a Whammy 5 or DT the power draw is actually way lower than it says on the side of the pedal and you can run it just fine off of slot 5 or 6 on a PP2+ (or anything else similar).

I run an el cap and a whammy 5 off of outs 5 and 6 with zero problems.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ShaneV2 View Post
If it's a Whammy 5 or DT the power draw is actually way lower than it says on the side of the pedal and you can run it just fine off of slot 5 or 6 on a PP2+ (or anything else similar).

I run an el cap and a whammy 5 off of outs 5 and 6 with zero problems.
Not a Whammy 5, its the WH-1. Needs AC power and at least 1ma.

• Members

i made a spreadsheet when i was power supply shopping. literally facepalm.gif i was bored at work. (i wonder if i have it lying around still or if i deleted it because, srs, wtf makes a spreadsheet)

i compared voltage options, number of outs, extension plugs, sags, transformers, etc., etc.

at the time (last year) there wasnt anything better for my setup than a pp2+. there are some contenders now, but none are really "better". every one of them seems to limit your options in different ways, and the pp2+ limits you the least, if that makes any sense. the only way some of the other ones are better for you is if you have very specific needs (lots of eventides, or 18V boxes, etc.)

tell me your pedals, and i can better reccomend the right choice.

then again, if you arent into the torroidal-transformer, mounted power supply thing, or budget is tight, i used one-spots and power-alls with daisy chains for a long time. idn_smilie.gif doesnt really work for the specialty 24V/18V/12V stuff though. i used to run a power strip with a one-spot or two and all the specialty wall wart power supplies. ugly, but it worked.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25 View Post
I have been looking at Carl Martin, Cioks, T-Rex and a few others, what do you use?

I am looking at around 10 pedals, one 12v and one 18v is handy but not too important.
of course cheaper is better biggrin.gif
I use the Carl Martin Pro Power and I've got a bunch of different Voodoo Labs supplies (PPAC, PP2+'s, Iso5's). I highly recommend the Carl Martin Pro Power to anyone considering the Pedal Power 2 Plus and you don't plan to use the voltage sag functions. It has a lot more current per isolated tap and all the taps can be either 9 or 12v. Also the tap settings are selectable at the back of the unit instead of the bottom which makes voltage changes easier. smile.gif

• Members

I use the PowerPlant and it has worked fine so far. The Supa Charger also works pretty well. The PP2+ is an industry standard for a reason. The T-Rex Fuel Tank stuff is also solid but a tad expensive. Eh, I don't think I am being all that helpful.

We could probably advise better if you listed which pedals you want to power.

• Members

I'm waiting for the voodoo Lab 4x4 to be released so I can compare prices here. Currently using two PP2+s and would like to sell them for a bigger unit with bigger current outputs per outlet. The 4x4 is basically a combination of the PP2+ and Digital in one.

The Cioks Ciokolate looks good but is crazy expensive.

• Members

is that a real thing, the 4x4? i could use it.

edit: so it is... more like a high current pp2+ idn_smilie.gif

and the ciokolate is what i wanted, but didnt find in that giant MXR/CAE one. i dont play all 18V mxr pedals. but yeah, ciokolate is overkill. awesome, awesome overkill.

Archived