Do I want a DOD 250?

Shawbrook

• Members

Hi. I'm in the mood for making a pedal and I've been interested in getting a new, light overdrive. I'm looking for a sound similar to

. Will the DOD 250 get me there? Also what is the difference between the yellow and grey versions?
For any other recommendations: I'm not going to buy an actual pedal, so only DIY overdrives please. smile.gif
Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shawbrook View Post
Hi. I'm in the mood for making a pedal and I've been interested in getting a new, light overdrive. I'm looking for a sound similar to
. Will the DOD 250 get me there?
Yes, if you use it mostly as a boost.

Also what is the difference between the yellow and grey versions?
There are a ton of variations but it is mainly the type of OPAmp. Grey had a single LM741 or LF341 OPA (generally), and the yellow (again generally) had either the TLO81 or JRC4558 OPA.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shawbrook View Post
For any other recommendations: I'm not going to buy an actual pedal, so only DIY overdrives please. smile.gif
You should be able to throw together a DIY pedal for pretty much any overdrive you want- they're generally fairly simple circuits, although you may find it a little harder to track down some of the unusual diodes or weird value resistors you might find in some boutique pedals.

There are veroboard layouts for most if not all of the major players at http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/

Archived