Oh, Craigslist, why do you torment me so?

mlabbee

• Members

Selling a pedal on Craigslist -ad clearly says "Local only, cash only." Guy e-mails me with a low, but not ridiculous offer on it and says "I feel this is a fair price for a local cash sale." I agree and call him. The area code is not local, but there are a lot of transplants in Portland who hang on to their cell phones for a while, so I figure he's one of those. Nope. Lives in Seattle, wants me to ship it to him and pay by Paypal. Really? I consider it, but then he refuses to cover the Paypal fees . . . . Really?

I know, I know, I should have just hung up on him the minute he revealed he wasn't local. It seems like every time I list something I get some kind of weird attempt like this - someone not local acting like they are and then springing the news once we've agreed on a deal. Or the "I'll take it" followed by a call where the buyer reveals he really meant "I'll take it if you agree to lower your price by 50% - but hey, I've got cash in hand!" Because my ad said cash or credit, right? Sigh . . . it's beginning to make Ebay more appealing again . . .such a shame.

I know - CSB. Just had to vent.

• Members

depends on the pedal. I had a Moog LPF with exp. for $200 shipped listed here and TGP. I got one inquiry at TGP but they passed. Some dude ended up buying it for $200, no haggling, locally.

I feel your frustration though mlabbee.

• Members

i feel like i'm the only person who doesn't have major problems on craigslist. i generally don't buy something unless i'm getting a good deal on it so when i sell i can list it at a reasonable price and at the very least break even.

i've found teh sweet spot to be at the lower end of ebay prices. generally the serious people know they're getting a good deal because they don't have to pay shipping or wait for it. you don't have to pay fees or the risk of ebay flakes.

as far as lowballers i usually put a section at the bottom saying how it's a fair and firm price and to check ebay. honestly, the last 4-5 things i've listed have been sold this way and maybe 1-2 lowballers total.

• Members

Yeah, sucks don't it.

I put one of my Alnico Golds on CL.

Got one response frown.gif

We agreed on a price.

Then he tells me he is in Texas! (I'm in Nevada).

I think about it for a day and decide to go for it.

But since it was going to be about a week before I could get to the post office, I told him. He said no problem.

I checked postage fees, insurance, etc.

Today I get an email saying hew bought another speaker and canceled on me frown.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstrat86

View Post

you guys are lucky you actually get to talk to real people. I get nothing but scammers on mine constantly...They aren't even clever anymore.

"Dear Sir, is the item still available? Can you plaese tell me what condition it is in?"

I get this often. The typo is there, as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mlabbee

View Post

Selling a pedal on Craigslist -ad clearly says "Local only, cash only." Guy e-mails me with a low, but not ridiculous offer on it and says "I feel this is a fair price for a local cash sale." I agree and call him. The area code is not local, but there are a lot of transplants in Portland who hang on to their cell phones for a while, so I figure he's one of those. Nope. Lives in Seattle, wants me to ship it to him and pay by Paypal.

Uh...

Quote Originally Posted by mlabbee

View Post

Really? I consider it, but then he refuses to cover the Paypal fees . . . . Really?

Hope that was the end of contact with this person

• Members

I got prank called on craiglists, once. Some kids called the number and wanted me to drop it off in an ally. I told them I appreciate what they are trying to do, but pull this off you have to giggle less while calling the person, and make it an adress more reasonable.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 9520575

View Post

I got prank called on craiglists, once. Some kids called the number and wanted me to drop it off in an ally. I told them I appreciate what they are trying to do, but pull this off you have to giggle less while calling the person, and make it an adress more reasonable.

i love your attitude chuck.

• Members

I have zero luck on CL lately. Price stuff fairly too. I've done well with this forum actually, moreso than TGP lately, although I haven't really needed to sell much. I don't list stuff on ebay, but might sometime soon. I've had good luck buying from ebay though. CL seems to be the worse by far these days. I guess just because it's free, doesn't mean it's good.

Archived