The power supply debate, isolated vs. daisy chain

FlyGuy10

• Members

I'm sure there have been a few threads about this before, but I just wanted to get your opinions.

I have a 1spot that I've been using for like...5 years? Why? Because it was cheap and powered what I had (same reason as everyone else I guess).

I now am pushing 10 pedals here and I'm wondering if an isolated power supply would be a good investment. They seem kinda expensive, especially compared to the 1spot.

What do you guys use?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
there's no debate, really

isolated supplies are significantly better...you just have to decide if you give enough of a crap

right now, I don't...so 1spot it is icon_lol.gif
Haha I'm pretty sure I feel the same way...at least for now. The way I'm set up now is that I use an independent power supply (the stock one) for my DL4 and plug it and my 1spot for my other pedals into the power strip beneath my board. Seems to work fine. Just not sure if the iso route is just cork sniffery or legitimate.

• Members

had noise issues with daisy chain so i went the voodoo labs pp2+ route years ago and most of the noise vanished. now there are other and also cheaper isolated power supply solutions.

also wanted just one power strip for my whole board. now i have a dmm xo and an 18v ibanez flanger on board so i still need 3 power plugs to power all.
*shrugs*

if you have noise issues and you don't want to use 3 or more one spots to get rid of it, a power supply with isolated outputs is the way to go.
if the noise is not that bad or if you don't mind having a lot of additional power cables, stay where you are

• Members

I use both, on my PT JR I have a Voodoo Labs PP2+ power supply, mostly because I already had it from a previous larger pedalboard and that's because some of the pedals I had at the time were noisy if I used a One Spot to power them all...so it was a no brainer for me to go the isolated route.... but on my other board which is a PT Mini, mostly because of space I use a One Spot. I do make sure and test pedals to ensure they won't make noise when using the One Spot and the other pedals on my board....but that's more my grab and go board for jams and small gigs, so if I HAVE TO HAVE a particular pedal for that jam/gig and it's making noise I'll just use a battery in it.

To me the bottom line is noise and power... if you can power all the pedals on your board with a One Spot and there's no noise then I don't really see a major advantage with going with a isolated power supply...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Turd Furgison View Post
isolated is nice when you play at places with shitty power
That was another benefit that I was thinking of....

Just for kicks, what are you guys using for your isolated power supplies? Does everyone have a PP2 or are you using something else?

• Members

I went from individual power supplies to a dc brick when I had more pedals, got a lot of noise and went to a PP2+, solved all the noise problems. now I run two PP2+ on my big board. I do use a 1-spot on my small board with only 3 pedals, my problem with that though is the 1-spot has like 30 feet of cable, which is a total pain in the ass when my small board is built into a case with a power recepticle, so I have a huge bundle of wires taking up space in the case. I'm thinking of getting a small cheap isolated unit just to get rid of the mess.

• Members

I say isolated just so you can power center positive pedals that can't be daisy chained (also 12, 18 and 24v.) I do have boards powered by both though. 2 pt-2's one is powered by an isolated power supply (bbe supa charger) and that's my gig board. I have a onespot powering the other one and that's my at home kick around board to test stuff out.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy10 View Post
Just for kicks, what are you guys using for your isolated power supplies? Does everyone have a PP2 or are you using something else?
2 BBE Supa Chargers, 2 VL PP2+, VL Digital, Fuel Tank Jr., and a Power Plant. They all do good deeds and have a few individual quirks. :p

I know, I stink for being relegated to bedroom player status. :faccepalm:

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy10 View Post
BBE Supa Charger
VL PP2+
VL Digital
Fuel Tank Jr.
Power Plant

They all do good deeds and have a few individual quirks. tongue.gif

I know, I stink for being relegated to bedroom player status. facepalm.gif

Archived