OT: so it all comes out now....

mhuxtable

• Members

I know this will be polarizing, but I must be myself with my HCFX brothers and sisters.

For the past few months, my wife and I have taken a new hobby.

SHOOTING GUNS eek.gif

It started because we live near a rough part of town, there have been a lot of breakins and a close call with someone on our back porch..plus J is home alone a lot....plus I've always wanted to try it.

Well we started and it's like getting tattoos....very addictive. It's very fun, requires patience, skill, practice. We're very responsible and sensible....in fact, I joined a few gun forums and holy {censored} those people are nuts. But we really enjoy it and are getting pretty good at it!

So who's into it? Who hates it?

So yeah. CSB.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a few. The best advice I can give you? Get some formal training. Treat them like tools and respect them. always loaded, even when you are positive it's unloaded, and you only touch the trigger when you intend to destroy what it is pointed at. I've been in the Army for a long time and kinda get a casual attitude towards guns but these few simple things will keep you out of trouble

• Members

YES. I need to shoot more often. And I need an AR-15 because they will eventually stop allowing us to buy assault weapons.

I keep a .38 in the house, but have a few rifles and shotguns back home that will likely stay there since there's really no place to shoot them here.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AxAxSxS View Post
I have a few. The best advice I can give you? Get some formal training. Treat them like tools and respect them. always loaded, even when you are positive it's unloaded, and you only touch the trigger when you intend to destroy what it is pointed at. I've been in the Army for a long time and kinda get a casual attitude towards guns but these few simple things will keep you out of trouble
We actually did a lesson today with a Sgt from the local police academy. But we go to the range once or twice a week, no joke. We follow the 4 rules religiously.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rey View Post
YES. I need to shoot more often. And I need an AR-15 because they will eventually stop allowing us to buy assault weapons.

I keep a .38 in the house, but have a few rifles and shotguns back home that will likely stay there since there's really no place to shoot them here.
yeah we keep all 4 handguns loaded in the house....we have no kids, so no worries there. A 9mm, a 22lr and 2 357s loaded with .38specials.

• Members

I can't shoot more than 18-24 rounds of .357s....they hurt my head and my teeth and make my hand sore....even in my 4" s&w 686

I love the range...I really feel weird if I don't go at least once a week....honestly, when you go 1-2 a week, you see a lot of improvement really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by AxAxSxS

View Post

Excellent advice all the way around. Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mhuxtable View Post
We actually did a lesson today with a Sgt from the local police academy. But we go to the range once or twice a week, no joke. We follow the 4 rules religiously.

yeah we keep all 4 handguns loaded in the house....we have no kids, so no worries there. A 9mm, a 22lr and 2 357s loaded with .38specials.
Yeah man. I want to get another handgun to keep around the house since I'm not the best/most comfortable with the revolver. Looks cool and it's fun to shoot, but if the proverbial {censored} ever hits the fan at my house, I want something in my hand that I'm extraordinarily comfortable with. Or a 12 gauge, because that's essentially the ultimate in home defense.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe View Post
wrong. its exactly the same.

The mentality is way different...the technique is exactly the same.

Targets....your pulse is low, you're relaxed, you're focused.

Self defense...high pulse, adrenalin pumping, you're scared {censored}less.

That's why fundamentals of sight alignment and trigger manipulation are so important....if they become muscle memory, you don't have to focus on actually SHOOTING, but on ending a dangerous situation....all the more reason to practice, practice, practice.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by t-rey

View Post

Yeah man. I want to get another handgun to keep around the house since I'm not the best/most comfortable with the revolver. Looks cool and it's fun to shoot, but if the proverbial {censored} ever hits the fan at my house, I want something in my hand that I'm extraordinarily comfortable with. Or a 12 gauge, because that's essentially the ultimate in home defense.

If you want to be more comfortable, just shoot it a lot more. There has to be a few ranges in Wilmington.

• Members

I'd like to be able to own a gun. It's pretty pointless here though, you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get a licence, and even if you do get a licence you're absolutely not allowed to use the gun to protect yourself at all. Also handguns are 100% illegal in all circumstances.

Having said that, I think we as a nation are safer than you guys as a result of it. I like the idea of normal folk being able to protect themselves, but I'm not keen on the idea of lunatics having such easy access to guns legally.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mhuxtable View Post
The mentality is way different...the technique is exactly the same.

Targets....your pulse is low, you're relaxed, you're focused.

Self defense...high pulse, adrenalin pumping, you're scared {censored}less.

That's why fundamentals of sight alignment and trigger manipulation are so important....if they become muscle memory, you don't have to focus on actually SHOOTING, but on ending a dangerous situation....all the more reason to practice, practice, practice.
yeah i was just being an ass. it is very obviously worlds apart.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982 View Post
I'd like to be able to own a gun. It's pretty pointless here though, you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get a licence, and even if you do get a licence you're absolutely not allowed to use the gun to protect yourself at all. Also handguns are 100% illegal in all circumstances.

Having said that, I think we as a nation are safer than you guys as a result of it. I like the idea of normal folk being able to protect themselves, but I'm not keen on the idea of lunatics having such easy access to guns legally.
Agreed! The even more {censored}ed up part is how easily criminals can get guns illegally.

But I really don't want this to devolve into a pro/anti gun thread....

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to lead this thread down that path. I'm not really for or against, I can see both sides to the argument. But I'd still like to be able to own a sweet handgun and blow some {censored} up for fun once in a while.
I know you weren't smile.gif

And yes it is fun...a it's a nice piece of mind knowing your wife can defend herself if some thugs bust up in the house.

Archived