New Standard Tuning...

Poltergeist

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects

View Post

What is the point again? It's supposed to be easier to do something, but I can't remember what.

not sure either, but i'd like to try something different and fiddle around with it, and this tuning seems perfect for it, because i know basically 0 about theory. since i have no idea what i'm doing with it something good will happen i'm sure.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me View Post
The tuning is (from low to high): CGDAEG, and can be remembered by the mnemonic "California Guitarists Drop Acid Every Gig"
Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
all are in perfect 5th's.

i was just wondering what would be a good string gauge for it.

i'm thinking about getting a 7 string set and dropping the G string, should work well. what say you HCFX?
G is not the perfect 5th of E....that'd be B

Either it's not ALL perfect 5ths or LSD is mistaken.

• Members

I messed with it for awhile a few years ago. It's a great tuning if you want to relearn the guitar. It'll make you think outside the box whenever you decide to go back to regular tuning. As far as strings I used a hybrid of low 10 strings for the first three strings and 9s for the last three. Worked fine.

• Members

I just put it in CGDADE because if I put any more tension on the top two strings they would snap for sure (got a JM)
Took me an age to figure out chord shapes and {censored} but
0 0 5
0 3 5
3 3 5
2 1 7
0 0 5
0 0 0

may be 7ths or something, not entirely sure.. but im going back to d standard.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu View Post
I messed with it for awhile a few years ago. It's a great tuning if you want to relearn the guitar. It'll make you think outside the box whenever you decide to go back to regular tuning. As far as strings I used a hybrid of low 10 strings for the first three strings and 9s for the last three. Worked fine.
thing is i never use standard tuning.

i have an SG tuned to A-A-D-G-B-E (standard but with a .65 bass string as the low A), i have a Telecaster and will soon be getting a new LP, which are/will be tuned to either C# or Drop B, those will cover all the ground for what i'm doing right now, but i love this Ampeg so much i don't want to get rid of it at all, so i'm thinking about doing something different with this one. it is, by far, my most versatyle guitar - stellar clean and dirt tones, so keeping it in that tuning, even if i start using it a lot and write lots of music with it, i won't need to get yet another guitar for clean or dirty tones specifically in that tuning, the way i do on the stuff i'm doing right now with the LP/Tele combo.

• Members

sounds like some of y'all should learn to play in old standard tuning first.

although this idea is all about experimenting with something totally different, i use the tunings that i need to use, no more no less. if i could use standard tuning for the stuff i'm doing right now i wouldn't use these lower tunings in the first place, standard just doesn't work for me at all.

this way i have way more low-end, way more access to dissonant low chords and droning capabilities and vibration in general.

• Members

it is not a matter of being right or not, but thinking there is one way to do things and thinking that way is superior to others, that is just very flawed concept. there is such a vast array of possibilities once you step outside the box and the "conventional" way of doing things towards what your actual needs are as a musician.

i used standard for a long time when i started playing, but when i started using these lower tunings it completely changed my approach to making music, they just fit me.

Archived