Pickups - Strat vs Jaguar

Phil O'Keefe

Does anyone have any side-by-side pictures of Strat and Jaguar pickups? Actually, what I'm looking for are exact measurements of each in terms of width and length - WITH the covers (and in the case of the Jag, the claws) on. I have Strat pickups on hand that I could measure, but no Jag pups.

Can anyone help me out please? smile.gif

• Members

Man fender is so annoying with this sometimes. Like...come on those things are ALMOST the same size. Why not make them the same size so you could drop one into the other hole.

Come to think of it, every fender model pretty much has it's own kind of pickup doesn't it.

1. Tele - 2 different types of Tele-specific pickup.
2. Strat - 3 Strat pickups of one basic type.
3. Jaguar - 2 Jaguar Pickups
4. Jazzmaster - 2 Jazzmaster Pickups
5. Tele Deluxe - 2 Wide Range Humbuckers
6. Mustang/Duosonic - Basically strat-sized but different covers, i think, right? Maybe it's a little narrower.
7. Jazz Bass - 2 J-Bass Pickups
8. P-Bass - 1 P-Bass pickup
9. Mustang Bass - Mustang Bass Pickup
10. Bass IV - Bass Iv Pickup

Contrast to Gibson:
1. Humbuckers
2. P90s
3. Mini Humbuckers
4. Very Occasional Smaller Single Coils

6. Mustang/Duosonic/Musicmaster - Basically strat-sized but different covers, i think, right?

Yup. Solid covers, kind of like the Lace Sensors have on them - no cutouts for the polepieces. The pickups themselves are otherwise interchangeable with a Strat, and they often fall into the same DC resistance range as a vintage Strat, but they are slightly different in at least two respects. Unlike vintage Strat pickups, the pole pieces sit flush to the top of the bobbin, instead of having a staggered polepiece arrangement. Also, all Mustangs (et al) released since late 1964 have one of the two pickups RWRP. That didn't show up on the middle pickup for Strats until much later. Mustangs and Duo Sonic II's also have the ability to switch one of the pickups out of phase relative to the other one, which is another nice sonic trick they have up their sleeves.

It is kind of interesting how Fender basically developed a new pickup specifically for each new "family" of guitars they made. That's a really good point.

6. Mustang/Duosonic/Musicmaster - Basically strat-sized but different covers, i think, right?

Yup. Solid covers, kind of like the Lace Sensors have on them - no cutouts for the polepieces. The pickups themselves are otherwise interchangeable with a Strat, and they often fall into the same DC resistance range as a vintage Strat, but they are slightly different in at least two respects. Unlike vintage Strat pickups, the pole pieces sit flush to the top of the bobbin, instead of having a staggered polepiece arrangement. Also, all Mustangs (et al) released since late 1964 have one of the two pickups RWRP. That didn't show up on the middle pickup for Strats until much later. Mustangs and Duo Sonic II's also have the ability to switch one of the pickups out of phase relative to the other one, which is another nice sonic trick they have up their sleeves.

It is kind of interesting how Fender basically developed a new pickup specifically for each new "family" of guitars they made. That's a really good point.

Archived