Joyo Vintage Overdrive becomes the Great Scott! Overdrive

brianwahl

• Members

A few days ago I bought a Joyo Vintage OD on a whim, and I'm very pleased with it. It sounds much better than I expected.

My initial idea with buying it was to paint and decal the case just to have something on my board that looks cool and one-of-a-kind. I've always had this idea of creating a bunch of pedals based on Back To The Future. For example:

- The Delorean Delay
- A volume pedal with a numeric digital volume readout - that went from 0 to 88.
- Instead of your typical LED's, each pedal could a little flux capacitor-looking LED
- and, the GREAT SCOTT! overdrive

Without the technical experience to build said pedals or liscensing dollars to actually sell products that use Back To The Future intellectual properties, I'm settling for the "buy cheap pedals and rehouse them into whatever I want" route.

So, I present to you...

The GREAT SCOTT! Overdrive (just a concept at this point).

Before:

joyo-vintage-od.JPG

After:

great-scott-overdrive.jpg

I figure with a can of green spray paint, a waterslide decal out of the image I created, and a few coats of clear, I can make this happen for just a few bucks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by currynoodles

View Post

Hahaha, I was in the process of building a Delorean Delay. Was planning to acid etch the enclosure, even had the design done up. Never really had the time to finish it though. The pedal guts are still waiting for an enclosure.

that thing you did there, i see it.

• Members

That's awesome Brian! Themed board would be sweet. I was on a Mars Attacks kick on some builds for awhile - love those li'l Martians.

101410DL129.jpg

101410DL126.jpg

You might also want to look into BYOC for building whole pedals - you really don't need to have any electronics knowledge to build their kits, just the ability / skill to solder.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NewRiggins View Post
That looks awesome! makes me want to do something like that to my crunch distortion.
Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Post View Post
Green Dot?
Haha...

I do have a random legal question - maybe someone could chime in. If I bought a couple Vintage OD's and re-housed them like this, could I sell them on a forum or something. Assuming I'd be 100% up-front that it's a joyo pedal in a different enclosure?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by brianwahl

View Post

I do have a random legal question - maybe someone could chime in. If I bought a couple Vintage OD's and re-housed them like this, could I sell them on a forum or something. Assuming I'd be 100% up-front that it's a joyo pedal in a different enclosure?

I don't see why you couldn't. After all you'd really just be selling them second hand, and your not claiming they're something they aren't.

Archived