EHX NYC BIG MUFF PI vs. All of the clones

dZjupp

• Members

That's a good question.
:)
Anyone have an opinion?

hmmm thats a good one. the SWP sounds more processed, but not in a bad way. big muffs are a little more open and raw to my ear, where the SWP was more high fidelitywith a massive bottom end sustain beneath the sound, less raw on the mid and top end.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the "big muff sound" displayed in that mudhoney clip can be attained with just about any big muff... it is the attempt to coax the non big muff sound also out of these pedals that opens it up to mods, clones, corksnifferry, and the emperor's new clothes.

• Members
I mean really,

just look at it in all of its glory:

3678_Big_Muff_Pi_b.jpg

I had one in the early 70's, it was my first dirt box, wish I new what happened to it.

I'll still take my old beat up MJM Foxey Fuzz. The original Big Muff had a huge half empty enclosure with no ac adapter, I was never a fan of those sharp edges.

MJM1.jpg

• Members

I have both a fairly current RI and a Pharaoh at home. I was guessing by comments here so often, that the Reissue would have been a big letdown. I was quite pleasantly surprised to find this not the case. I thought it sounded pretty damn good. Not super versatile, compared to the Pharaoh, but so what. As far as gain goes, with the Pharaoh turned up most of the way, is close to where the volume/sustain knobs are on the RI set quite low. So I think you could easily have both pedals on your board if you wanted to, with the Pharaoh doing more mid to higher gain settings (or even lowish, if you wanted to be in the fuzzy overdrive spectrum, which the RI clearly can't do) and then use the RI for all out heavy leads or heavier dirty rhythms. If I was to choose one, it's the Pharaoh, but both are pretty cool. RI is big though. The Muff w/TW is a pretty awesome pedal too, more versatile, and smaller.

• Members

I have both a fairly current RI and a Pharaoh at home. I was guessing by comments here so often, that the Reissue would have been a big letdown. I was quite pleasantly surprised to find this not the case. I thought it sounded pretty damn good. Not super versatile, compared to the Pharaoh, but so what. As far as gain goes, with the Pharaoh turned up most of the way, is close to where the volume/sustain knobs are on the RI set quite low. So I think you could easily have both pedals on your board if you wanted to, with the Pharaoh doing more mid to higher gain settings (or even lowish, if you wanted to be in the fuzzy overdrive spectrum, which the RI clearly can't do) and then use the RI for all out heavy leads or heavier dirty rhythms. If I was to choose one, it's the Pharaoh, but both are pretty cool. RI is big though. The Muff w/TW is a pretty awesome pedal too, more versatile, and smaller.

i just wish they would have done the big muff w/tw in the same big case

• Members

Stock NYC Muff and vox sounding good? How did you do it? Need details! - Guitar, guitar knob settings, big muff settings, and ac30 settings.

CIRRUS DEMANDS IT

Hahaha Christ, this was years ago. I don't know anymore. :lol:

I can definitely tell you it was through the EF86 channel and may have been stacked with my modded Rat.

• Members

gonna sound like a nub here but i have a swollen pickle how different is the tone in the ehx reissue?

Swollen Pickle is more versatile. I've had various Muffs -every one has it's own characteristics but they all have the 'Muff' sound. The Swollen Pickle has more knobbies and more tonal range...

I've tried a recent Muff reissue & my 1976 Muff side by side & there is a noticeable difference in tones. The 76 seems to have more mids.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had the green sovtek big muff pi that came in the wooden box. Wish I still had it. I do still have the box..

Where does the green BMP stand with the others as far as tone? I thought it sounded great for rhythms, but terrible for leads and palm muting. I ran it straight thru to a fender deluxe 85.

Ive never tried the other versions

Archived