NAD - Orange content

KoskineN

• Members

...and I love it! love.gif

An Orange amp is something that I've been wanting for several years, but never pulled the trigger on one, and today, is a good day biggrin.gif

This amp just sounds massive! Very loud and and gain for days. It takes the pedals of my board very well so far. The clean channel is very good, and it only has one volume knob, which let your guitar true voice sing through. Clear and punchy it is. The crunch is very cool when you crank it all the way. Test guitars were my LP and my Tele, and both sounded great. The gain channel is what I bought this amp for: it's dirty, and I like it this way. My LP sounds awesome on it. I tuned it in D with a drop-C and it could kill puppies instantly. It cleans up very well to my surprise. It has a lot of gain, but I find the sweet spot for me at around 1 O'clock. Already a lot of gain, and perfect for stoner rock and heavy rock. Push it with a clean boost and your into metal territory.

I plugged it in my Mesa 2x12 cab, but I might end up buying a 4x12 Orange cab after Christmas time :p

0d85a394b9c30848bb9c330faa42c3dd.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Van_Muddlestein

View Post

Rocked one of these for about three years straight and it was awesome. They're one of the best modern Oranges and it boggles my mind how they got discontinued.

saw one in a ghetto ass pawn shop for MSRP. i lold my way past the rims and the woofers on my way out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by live-I-evil

View Post

Congrats! A lot of people scoff at the modern Orange sound but I absolutely loved the sound of my 1st gen Rockerverb 50, that natural breakup is so good.

I had that Rockerverb 50 as well, the 6V6 in white tolex, and it ripped! Shoulda kept it. My only gripe with modern Orange is the fact that cost does not equate in regards to build quality but not much does now days.

I have the OD15 currently, based on the RV series despite the OD tag, also badass! Takes pedals much better than my RV ever did.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jordanjordan

View Post

Nice. I had one of these for a while and loved it. My favourite setting was on the dirty channel, but with the gain set low enough for it to be cleanish overall. Hitting that with a boost was glorious.

I will try this for sure! We're starting a new band a friend and I will use a very basic board, with only a tuner, a boost/OD, and a phaser. The Rocker dirt will be my main sound all the time! biggrin.gif

Which boost were you using?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KoskineN

View Post

I will try this for sure! We're starting a new band a friend and I will use a very basic board, with only a tuner, a boost/OD, and a phaser. The Rocker dirt will be my main sound all the time! biggrin.gif

I think it was a SHO. Sounded great with a Rat too from memory.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KoskineN

View Post

I ran that exact rig for years.

les paul - tuner - sho clone - eqd grand orbiter phaser - rocker 30 - 6x12

As mean as it gets

• Members

congrats!

I just got one of these amps about a month ago...when i got it home i was blown away by it.

I have the combo, and i play stoner stuff too...with an LP tuned to C. On my old amp i use run a bass big muff, or rat for my dirt...but on this amp, i use the dirty channel, I love it!

The dirty channel eq is excellent, very responsive, and the amount of bass on tap is amazing. The dirty sound i get is a mix of distortion and fuzz...which is right up my alley!

as far as effects loop goes, it doesn't bother me...i actually like running my carbon copy and electric mistress through the front...even on my old amp which had a loop, i still ran them through the front.

• Members

explain

I'll throw down some input on this one...

The RV series, esp the EL34 based 100W, have a modern high gain sound relatively speaking. The Rocker 30, while still high gain, is more vintage Orange flavored with a wide open, thick, almost fuzzy dirt tone that just sounds better overall IMO. The RVs also have little to no clean headroom, just gain for days whereas the 30W will do clean-ish very well.

The OR15 is a nice middle ground, like the badass spawn of a RV and OR series. :thu:

Archived