Have you ever sat down and tried to remember how much gear you've gone through?

Prehistoricpain

• Members

Instruments (In Best Guess of Order):

Wooden Train Whistle

Slide Whistle

School-Issued Recorder*

Jupiter Flute*

Small Cassio Keyboard*

Larger Cheap Keyboard*

Homemade PVC/Balloon Drums

Gemeinhardt Flute*

Software Synths*

Hondo II Bass

Carlo Robelli 5-String Bass

Ibanez Acoustic Electric

Ibanez Millenium Iceman

MIM Strat (black)*

Gibson SG Faded

Fender Stratosonic*

Rickenbacker 330*

Martin 000-15 All Mahogany*

MIM Telecaster (Purple)

Hofner Violin Bass

Fender Jaguar Bass (Red MIJ)

Fender Jaguar Bass (Sunburst MIJ)*

Mochika 2 Synth*

Pine Telecaster (homemade)*

Moog Slim Phatty*

White Stereo Strat (several iterations of necks and pickups and wirings)*

Rickenbacker 650D

Univox Hi-Flier III

Moog Guitar E-1

70s MIJ Epiphone

Fender MIIM Toronado

Squier Jaguar Bass (Short Scale)*

Cigar Box Instrument*

1930s Soviet Balalaika*

Fender Silver Sparkle Parts-o-Strat (Now Army Green)*

Fender AVRI Jazzmaster

Fender MIM/Univox/Handwound Parts-o-Strat (Stripped Natural)*

MIM Stratocaster (Red, Purchased for Parts)

Fender/Warmoth Tele Deluxe (Black with All Rosewood Tele Neck)*

Amps:

Peavey KB60

Fender Bassman Head 1967*

Fender Blues Jr V2

Traynor YCV50Blue

Ampeg Reverberocket RI

Vox Night Train

Vox AC4

Egnater Rebel 20

Dr. Z Maz 18 2x12

Dr. Z Maz 18 NR 1x12

Mellowtone OWL

Mellowtone STAmp

Fusco Little Devil*

Fusco Hiwall*

Fusco Son of Devil*

Traynor YSR-1 1969*

* = Still Have

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Instruments (In Best Guess of Order):

Wooden Train Whistle

Slide Whistle

School-Issued Recorder*

Jupiter Flute*

Small Cassio Keyboard*

Larger Cheap Keyboard*

Homemade PVC/Balloon Drums

Gemeinhardt Flute*

Software Synths*

Hondo II Bass

Carlo Robelli 5-String Bass

Ibanez Acoustic Electric

Ibanez Millenium Iceman

MIM Strat (black)*

Gibson SG Faded

Fender Stratosonic*

Rickenbacker 330*

Martin 000-15 All Mahogany*

MIM Telecaster (Purple)

Hofner Violin Bass

Fender Jaguar Bass (Red MIJ)

Fender Jaguar Bass (Sunburst MIJ)*

Mochika 2 Synth*

Pine Telecaster (homemade)*

Moog Slim Phatty*

White Stereo Strat (several iterations of necks and pickups and wirings)*

Rickenbacker 650D

Univox Hi-Flier III

Moog Guitar E-1

70s MIJ Epiphone

Fender MIIM Toronado

Squier Jaguar Bass (Short Scale)*

Cigar Box Instrument*

1930s Soviet Balalaika*

Fender Silver Sparkle Parts-o-Strat (Now Army Green)*

Fender AVRI Jazzmaster

Fender MIM/Univox/Handwound Parts-o-Strat (Stripped Natural)*

MIM Stratocaster (Red, Purchased for Parts)

Fender/Warmoth Tele Deluxe (Black with All Rosewood Tele Neck)*

Amps:

Peavey KB60

Fender Bassman Head 1967*

Fender Blues Jr V2

Traynor YCV50Blue

Ampeg Reverberocket RI

Vox Night Train

Vox AC4

Egnater Rebel 20

Dr. Z Maz 18 2x12

Dr. Z Maz 18 NR 1x12

Mellowtone OWL

Mellowtone STAmp

Fusco Little Devil*

Fusco Hiwall*

Fusco Son of Devil*

Traynor YSR-1 1969*

* = Still Have

• Members

Wow. I haven't gone through much gear in the 17 years I've been playing. They're just tools, and I always feel the need to justify purchases based on usefulness and the income I receive from using them.

I started playing in 1995 with a Lotus Les Paul copy and Yamaha practice amp that I bought on a layaway plan. I started playing in pit orchestras for local musicals in 1996 and traded up for an Epiphone Les Paul and a blonde Fender Pro Jr. I started gigging in bars and clubs in 1999, and traded the Epiphone for an Aria Pro II Herb Ellis and bought a Silverface Twin Reverb. I started buying pedals at this time, but always did my research and still own everything to this day. By 2000, I was gigging with three bands in various genres and bought a CIJ Jaguar. I replaced the pickups and electronics and made that my number one. In 2003, my rig consisted of: Fender Jaguar > Boss CS-2 > Prescription Electronics Experience > Pro Co Rat > Cry Baby > Whammy > Dan Echo > Voodoo Lab Tremolo > Ross Phaser > Akai Headrush > either the Twin or Pro Jr. I replaced the Dan Echo with a DD-20 and an Echoplex, and picked up a DL4 somewhere along the way, but my setup remained mostly unchanged until I bought a Vox AC30H2 and Holy Grail Reverb in 2009. Last year I traded the Twin for a Deluxe Reverb, bought an EHX Freeze, and retired the Echoplex from gig-use in favor of an RE-20. Earlier this year I sold the CIJ Jaguar and got a Johnny Marr Jaguar.

• Members

Wow. I haven't gone through much gear in the 17 years I've been playing. They're just tools, and I always feel the need to justify purchases based on usefulness and the income I receive from using them.

I started playing in 1995 with a Lotus Les Paul copy and Yamaha practice amp that I bought on a layaway plan. I started playing in pit orchestras for local musicals in 1996 and traded up for an Epiphone Les Paul and a blonde Fender Pro Jr. I started gigging in bars and clubs in 1999, and traded the Epiphone for an Aria Pro II Herb Ellis and bought a Silverface Twin Reverb. I started buying pedals at this time, but always did my research and still own everything to this day. By 2000, I was gigging with three bands in various genres and bought a CIJ Jaguar. I replaced the pickups and electronics and made that my number one. In 2003, my rig consisted of: Fender Jaguar > Boss CS-2 > Prescription Electronics Experience > Pro Co Rat > Cry Baby > Whammy > Dan Echo > Voodoo Lab Tremolo > Ross Phaser > Akai Headrush > either the Twin or Pro Jr. I replaced the Dan Echo with a DD-20 and an Echoplex, and picked up a DL4 somewhere along the way, but my setup remained mostly unchanged until I bought a Vox AC30H2 and Holy Grail Reverb in 2009. Last year I traded the Twin for a Deluxe Reverb, bought an EHX Freeze, and retired the Echoplex from gig-use in favor of an RE-20. Earlier this year I sold the CIJ Jaguar and got a Johnny Marr Jaguar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by starmansam

View Post

I do my best to hang onto my gear. I have sold a few guitars and a few pedals, but I'm of the opinion that most things have a usable sound in them, and I'd hate to get rid of something on a whim and loose access to that specific sound... also my gear is mostly pretty cheap, so it usually isnt worth selling as it wouldn't really help fund new gear.

Thats the worst part. I still loved most of the gear i sold. It was almost always to pay bills.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by starmansam

View Post

I do my best to hang onto my gear. I have sold a few guitars and a few pedals, but I'm of the opinion that most things have a usable sound in them, and I'd hate to get rid of something on a whim and loose access to that specific sound... also my gear is mostly pretty cheap, so it usually isnt worth selling as it wouldn't really help fund new gear.

Thats the worst part. I still loved most of the gear i sold. It was almost always to pay bills.

• Members

I'm also 26, and there's been a fair bit. There's only one guitar I regret selling, and a couple amps I want to buy again.

Guitars: Hondo Strat-style guitar, Squier Strat, MIJ Fender Strat (the Great White Buffalo), Brownsville Thug, Epiphone Les Paul, Gibson LP Studio, Fender American Special Tele, Squier Telecaster, Edwards Viper, Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster

Amps: cheap Squier amp, Marshall AVT 150 head and cab, VHT Pittbull, Mesa Triple Recto, Recto cab, Vox AC30 CC2, Peavey 6505+, Mesa Express 5:50, Mesa Lonestar 2x12, Marshall JCM 800 4210, Traynor YGL 1

Pedals: an old Zoom multi-fx, DOD Super American Metal, Ibanez DE-7, Line 6 M13, CB Naga Viper, EQD Sea Machine, Phase 90, Swollen Pickle, TC Flashback

Other: 2x Technics 1200, Vestax PMC 05 Pro II, Akai MPC 1000, Korg Triton, Akai MPC 2000XL, MicroKorg, Maschine, Maschine Mikro

• Members

I'm also 26, and there's been a fair bit. There's only one guitar I regret selling, and a couple amps I want to buy again.

Guitars: Hondo Strat-style guitar, Squier Strat, MIJ Fender Strat (the Great White Buffalo), Brownsville Thug, Epiphone Les Paul, Gibson LP Studio, Fender American Special Tele, Squier Telecaster, Edwards Viper, Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster

Amps: cheap Squier amp, Marshall AVT 150 head and cab, VHT Pittbull, Mesa Triple Recto, Recto cab, Vox AC30 CC2, Peavey 6505+, Mesa Express 5:50, Mesa Lonestar 2x12, Marshall JCM 800 4210, Traynor YGL 1

Pedals: an old Zoom multi-fx, DOD Super American Metal, Ibanez DE-7, Line 6 M13, CB Naga Viper, EQD Sea Machine, Phase 90, Swollen Pickle, TC Flashback

Other: 2x Technics 1200, Vestax PMC 05 Pro II, Akai MPC 1000, Korg Triton, Akai MPC 2000XL, MicroKorg, Maschine, Maschine Mikro

• Members

I sometimes like to go to this really scenic overlook, secluded from the rat race of modern suburban life. It is there that I mediate on all my money and success. Sometimes my thoughts will drift to my impressive music gear collection. And once again, I am able to find meaning in this life.

• Members

I sometimes like to go to this really scenic overlook, secluded from the rat race of modern suburban life. It is there that I mediate on all my money and success. Sometimes my thoughts will drift to my impressive music gear collection. And once again, I am able to find meaning in this life.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by papersun

View Post

I have a list on my computer of all the gear I've ever owned, because I'm lame and that's what lame people do.

Me too.

Thankfully it's not a super massive list and I've come out ahead on just about all my purchases.

I keep a list mainly so my beneficiaries know what the stuff is worth when I finally jump off a sky scraper.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by papersun

View Post

I have a list on my computer of all the gear I've ever owned, because I'm lame and that's what lame people do.

Me too.

Thankfully it's not a super massive list and I've come out ahead on just about all my purchases.

I keep a list mainly so my beneficiaries know what the stuff is worth when I finally jump off a sky scraper.

• Members

I still have almost everything I ever bought gear-wise. The only things that are gone are:

- My first acoustic (Maeri brand) which just got completely unplayable and warped so I sat it out beside the trash and it was gone within 30 minutes

- Metal Zone - got it almost for free as part of a large auction lot, sold it for about $80US (!!! - gear is expensive here)

- Digitech RP6 - Gave away to a friend

- Boss OC2 - completely died so sold for parts/repair

Everything else is still here (bar a lot of sets of strings and a few cables that have disappeared...

Archived