Best small Fender combo?

TravvyBear

• Members

So I should be getting a Vox Pathfinder in the next month or so. But I think a great set up would be a Pathfinder ran with a small Fender combo love.giflove.gif

Whats the best small (fairly cheap) Fender Combo to look into running side by side with it? I would love for it to have reverb if possible.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I picked up a SF Vibro Champ earlier this year and it has become one of the better gear decisions I've made. Fantastic clean and tremolo sounds and a great size for home recording. I bought mine with some kind of bass mod done by Allen Amps that supposedly improves bass response and output. Nevertheless, it still is a 6w amp and will never have the bass of a larger amp but if you can live with that it's great. You should have no problem finding one for $350 or so.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

I picked up a SF Vibro Champ earlier this year and it has become one of the better gear decisions I've made. Fantastic clean and tremolo sounds and a great size for home recording. I bought mine with some kind of bass mod done by Allen Amps that supposedly improves bass response and output. Nevertheless, it still is a 6w amp and will never have the bass of a larger amp but if you can live with that it's great. You should have no problem finding one for $350 or so.

8 or 10 inch speaker?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
Oooh, this sounds good.

As does a Princeton, but they're quite a bit more.

• Members

If by clasisic fendr u mean a nice clean tone and a nice break up tone, then yes. I dont think it sounds particularly like any 'vintage' fender i've played but it's awesome. It's darker and has less ice pick status than the SF twin reverb I'm familiar with. I usually keep the master volume low and the volume to taste (depending on how much break up I want).

• Members

super champ is an awesome value. my old shop had one and it had a great sound, even breaking up. clean was pretty nice. i never used the dsp effects but they were not bad. reverb was pretty damn good actually.

honestly, you cant go wrong with a pro jr or blues jr. great great great amps. if i didnt think i needed extra headroom on tap, id go for the blues jr over the hot rod deluxe, but the deluxe is so great sounding. might be overkill for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear View Post
Hmm, this is an interesting one too.

Would you call a Blues Jr a "classic" Fender sound?
No

At least not in the same way as the traditional blackface amps.

I'd hit a Vibro Champ, or maybe a Super Champ XD. A Princeton would be ideal, but like you said, considerably more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects

View Post

I got my PRRI used for like $600, which seems like a reasonable price to me. Definitely, definitely worth it. Check one out, if you can. Great amps.

When they start to hit the $500 price point on the used market, I'll probably grab one. I was pleasantly surprised by how well Fender did with the reissue in terms of making it sound like a good Princeton should. Frankly, it's about time. I don't think I could have taken another travesty like the Princeton 65, Princeton Chorus or Princeton Recording. freak.gifwink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Princeton 65, Princeton Recording. freak.gifwink.gif
I had the 65, it has a relatively good sound and a contour knob, which works great for OD sounds.

Still play the Princeton Recording, I just plug the XLR out into the mixer and I have consistent tone. It delivers and the sound is similar to the PRRI (minus Vibrato).
It worked great last Saturday too on our gig. smile.gif

Archived