I tried to compare the basic audio futureman and skreddy screwdriver..

Prehistoricpain

• Members

I got both in the mail today smile.gif. (thanks weaksauce *:hugz: ) And thought I would do a quick demo of both. First off, neither is really all that nice on it's own, both shine IMO when stacked with another pedal. They seem to be like a little something to add rather than something I would keep on my board all the time.. But I've only had a day with them, so we'll see how that goes. Screw drive is a bit thinner sounding between the two, but much less shrill on the high end, and generally more pleasing to the ear. It can sound almost choked at times, but when stacked into fuzz, it really adds a whole new dimension of tones. Futureman has a very cool idea with the EQ but can get some VERY bad tones within the sweep of both the "treble" and "bass" knobs... I really only found a very small area of each that was usable for me. Not as much gain on tap here as in the screwdriver, and it's not as pleasing either.. This one has a spitty, Si fuzz sound to it and does not break up as pleasantly. Both had a good heaping spoonful of volume on tap.

I guess all in all, I'm not really amazed with either, but they could stick around for their "flavour" additions.

wave.gifwave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by goodhonk View Post
i like the clipping and camera freak outs and low audible narration. the other stuff i don't care for.

Anything you hear as "clipping" I can assure you is not. Levels never clipped, not on the interface, not in reaper. If anything you're hearing the same unpleasant clipping I hear when playing it, could be from the speaker itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain

View Post

Anything you hear as "clipping" I can assure you is not. Levels never clipped, not on the interface, not in reaper. If anything you're hearing the same unpleasant clipping I hear when playing it, could be from the speaker itself.

I hear it at 0:33-0:35 as the sustaining chord is fading away, right before you even kick in the first dirt pedal. It's not your recording levels... it's something else. Almost sounds like a dirty patchbay contact. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

originally i wasn't reviewing his demo, i was responding to him saying he didn't like the pedals, and that they were thin. i suggested he spend some time with them cuz they didn't sound bad in other demos.

i really have no room critiquing another persons demos or playing.

• Members

had both side-by-side and kept the futureman - was a tough choice, though

screw driver sounded better at higher gain and had a more pleasing decay and slightly more harmonic character, but less useful EQ and generally had a congested quality that just couldn't be dialed out

thanks for posting the demo

• Members

I didn't say they were bad pedals, just perhaps not the pedals for me. They both do the thing they do well, had you taken the time to actually read the review, I did say that I would probably keep them for the flavours they add to the tone, but they probably wont be used as base tones, rather the "salt and pepper" I add to them. I said the futureman was much thicker, but with a bit of harshness on the top end, and that of the TWO the skreddy was thinner. Reading comprehension, honk.

Archived