Music today is better than in any other decade

woolyh

Yeah, I know; it's a "relative" better (relative to money, nowadays, I guess you'd say). All of the albums I've done, I've told the mastering engineer to keep it conservative and go for quality. However, I'd had more than a few fans ask why our albums were so quiet, almost like there was something wrong with the recording.
:lol:

I always take that opportunity to fill the fans in on the reasons why that was necessary from a sound quality and dynamics standpoint - and if that doesn't work, I tell them about this new invention that they can use to compensate for it - it's called the "volume control"... ;) But you're right - you're kind of swimming upstream if you try to buck the volume warz.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right f***ing on, brotha!! Way to say!!!

Awesome post!

I don't know where I'd be without the internet, I've found so much moving, exciting, soul altering music... almost all of which is 60s/70s underground and 78rpm folk and jazz. If we're gonna go on the music ant the same rant, I'll chip in again. Maybe some people missed mine the first time round.
:idk:

I think there's a number of factors that make things, well, different today. One, we've had a hundred years for this God is dead thing to sink in. You can question the energy, the vibration, the soul, the afterlife, the feeling that connects us all, God as a fact is over. If science and philosophy didn't take it out, endless assassinations, the moon landing, Nixon, AIDS, several close calls with the apocalypse, the internet and 9-11 sure as {censored} did. God is over, and when you die, you probably just die. Time and time again has our entire social fabric been torn apart, burned to ashes, and rebuilt again. We've encountered more idol demolition than any century, by far. And without these tools, we've lost that conduit to speak to our inner selves.

The true divine power of music comes from spirituality, reaching to the greatness beyond our conception. In our day and age, that sort of release is rare and not often experienced. When I was a kid, Heaven and Hell were real. I don't think anyone, beyond the fringe hard right, deep down believes in them anymore, and our culture hasn't found much of a substitute. We've tried pop culture heroes with minimal success. Science has it's own, Carl Sagan niche. If anything, I think video games are the most vital. Early games have a primal quality to them, and are associated with childhood to a whole generation of people. We engage them. I think some decent art has been built around those feelings, but almost nowhere do I hear an inward, spiritual ovation to the infinite. A great cosmic AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Except for Earthbound and Katamari. Them {censored}s be mindblowing.
:love:

Humans know a fake. This has been studied time and time again. There are certain instincts in us that can identify humans, history, and what not. Our music has been entirely made by robots for some time know. It is loud, powerful, driving, and almost entirely removed of any spiritual component. We have become accustom to this, and turned away from the pulse of human drums. That waver, that live fluctuation, is central to the beat being real and heartfelt. With everything quantized, nearly across the board, you lose that. I think. I think we prefer the fake. The flat, slave driving, machine whip.

We don't have the earthy traditions of gospel and folk to be brought into whatever new wave we have next. The pioneers of rock, techno and hip hop all did. That kind of personal exposure and release is, once again, not in our culture. It's not something we listen for. When was the last time you heard anyone under 25 talk about playing from the heart, or if the music had "soul"?

Which is not to say music, or art, is entirely dead. There are sparks, here and there, even in today's mainstream. Kurt Cobain sure as hell had it. I think MGMT did too. There's a sweat yearning there. Radiohead does a little, in Thom Yorke's white-guy-fearing-nuclear-disaster kinda way. Eminem does in his anger and everyman portrayal of modern angst. Maybe him more than anybody. And I guess there's the solution for you, if there's any ticket to spirituality in music, it's in drugs, fear, anger, love, and madness. Which is where it always comes from. But, I don't hear the radiance. That love. That great cosmic OHM!! There's not much love in today's art. Passionate love. Feeling love. Feel it in your gut and cry out, because it can't be contained, Godmother{censored}ingdammit!! love. When was the last time you heard that anywhere near the radio dial?

This soul deadening, fascist anti-art didn't happen over night. The powers that be have been trying to crush natural spirituality, consciously and unconsciously, since this empire building bull{censored} took over ten thousand years ago. There isn't an army beating down our doors anymore. We can talk to each other and say whatever the hell we want. But there aren't any fantastic churches, soaring operas, monk monasteries, or overt revolutions. They own everything and have the most effective tools in history to demolish culture. Never has power been so globalized and interconnected. Never has slavery been so well hidden. Never has the great drive to mindlessness been so utterly invasive and demanding. Never have we been so Godless. And meanwhile, us first world people are cushioned fantastically well in a sea of infinite distractions and petty, addictive, material comfort. It's as if power has finally found the just-right balance to deaden the soul and assimilate control. And while exceptions squeak out, here and there, we've entered a strange, frightening dark time, and music has, without a doubt, taken a giant leap in distancing itself from it's core function; connecting us with humanity and each other.

God is it phony.
:p

But there's a revolution at hand. It pops up here and there, and I say art will feel it soon as well. A great explosion in sincerity. Passion. And liberation. It's on the cave walls. The fight will be on against terror, the death throes of fundamentalism, environmental chaos, and the biggest empire the world has ever known. Or so I hope.

That's my Cobalt-60 rant for the month. Gimme a dollar.
:wave:

• Members

So many great bands that have entered the scene in the last 4 years... Tame Impala, Washed Out, Neon Indian, Melody's Echo Chamber, MGMT, Chairlift, Tycho, Real Estate, Austra... the list goes on...

But then a couple of nights ago I was watching "QUEEN Rocks Montreal", and I was reminded that this era is not producing anything even close to the sheer musical genius and power of that performance. Watch it and weep my friends, and pray that we live to see another era produce performances like that again.

I'd question your use of the word "great" in the first sentence. There's some decent bands in that list but great?

• Members
I always take that opportunity to fill the fans in on the reasons why that was necessary from a sound quality and dynamics standpoint - and if that doesn't work, I tell them about this new invention that they can use to compensate for it - it's called the "volume control"...
;)
But you're right - you're kind of swimming upstream if you try to buck the volume warz.

I usually tried to, but half the time I'd get the deer in headlights look.... "But..... it's louder."

And eh, I spent most of my musical career swimming upstream anyways, so it makes sense.

But, regaridng the "state of music," (my two cents):

The old dinosaurs are wounded and are grasping at what's easy to sell while the underground it always thwarted has a new outlet. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily any easier to "make it."

• Members

I'd question your use of the word "great" in the first sentence. There's some decent bands in that list but great?

Yes, I brought up the QUEEN performance to sort of qualify. Certainly none of those artists are in the same caliber. But on the other hand, I could listen to Washed Out's Within and Without, or Tycho's Dive on repeat all morning. I can't say the same about any of QUEEN's albums. I can only listen all the way through A Night at the Opera every so often. A lot of the "great" bands of ROCK history are totally immersive experiences. A lot of today's bands seem more appropriate for our multi-tasking lifestyles... sort of the Brian Eno aesthetic of sonic wallpaper.

Archived