Music today is better than in any other decade

woolyh

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^ there have always been lazy everythings. just that with today's technology it's easier to see a million more lazy folk. there's still tons that work hard.

this is actually a great time for music.

I know that guitar rock isn't predominant, but I wouldn't want to be in any other era right now either.

• Members

this is actually a great time for music.

I know that guitar rock isn't predominant, but I wouldn't want to be in any other era right now either.

In many ways I agree with this. There's a lot of musical diversity now, and it's easier to find. Intenet radio is brilliant. The more I 'like' songs in my Pandora Quick Mix, the more accurate their recommendations are. I'm discovering a ton of new music I otherwise wouldn't be able to locate alone.

So many great bands that have entered the scene in the last 4 years... Tame Impala, Washed Out, Neon Indian, Melody's Echo Chamber, MGMT, Chairlift, Tycho, Real Estate, Austra... the list goes on...

But then a couple of nights ago I was watching "QUEEN Rocks Montreal", and I was reminded that this era is not producing anything even close to the sheer musical genius and power of that performance. Watch it and weep my friends, and pray that we live to see another era produce performances like that again.

• Members

In a mainstream sense, music is in a dire state compared to other decades. However, once you look under the hood their is an amazing array of music out there which other decades missed out on because they didn't have the internet. We're also fortunate that we can easily listen to pretty much every piece of recorded music. Great time to be alive.

• Members

There's a ton of great music being released these days. Unfortunately it's hard as hell to make any money because too many people think that art has no value.

i hate this sentiment.

art has whatever value the consumer places on it. the lawyers and label cronies are all but gone. big radio playing the same 20 songs is dying too. just because you shelled out 5k on your latest "masterpiece" doesn't mean joe buyer guy owes you {censored}ing money. create a demand, then sell it. and for the love of god play shows. you know... work. the bottom line though is that if you create something truly incredible, people will notice. then, if you're smart about it, you can use the current system to make some decent money.

• Members

i hate this sentiment.

art has whatever value the consumer places on it. the lawyers and label cronies are all but gone. big radio playing the same 20 songs is dying too. just because you shelled out 5k on your latest "masterpiece" doesn't mean joe buyer guy owes you {censored}ing money. create a demand, then sell it. and for the love of god play shows. you know... work. the bottom line though is that if you create something truly incredible, people will notice. then, if you're smart about it, you can use the current system to make some decent money.

So bands should continue to do what they've always done? It no longer matters because people have collectively decided that music, incredible or not, is worthless. Touring alone does not make up for record sales and touring.

• Members

So bands should continue to do what they've always done? It no longer matters because people have collectively decided that music, incredible or not, is worthless. Touring alone does not make up for record sales
and
touring.

remember that old albini article. a gold record, 500,000 copies netted a musician in a 4 piece band about 25k. if you sell your album to 100k people for 4 dollars you're netting close to 100k per member in the same situation. people are buying music more these days, just not the same way. you have smaller target markets but a massively larger piece of the pie... that you baked.

• Members

I support musicians that I care about by actually paying for their music, this was always the case.

when you're a true fan, you want to pay, at least I do.

music has never been better imo.

there's always been quality artists, but in the past (some of them) were doomed to obscurity by the the "system".

the internet has opened up a new world where artists don't need to rely on record label money to get their music heard, or make a name for themselves.

• Members
There's a ton of great music being released these days. Unfortunately it's hard as hell to make any money because too many people think that art has no value.

Problem #1:
Art has no value because we live in an age where all value increasingly derives from economics, and the production of art (and artifacts which resemble art) is considered to have little value economically because it is no longer scarce and expensive.
When everyone can afford the paintbrush, everyone thinks they're Michelangelo.
It's Leo Fender's fault. Or maybe Tom Edison.

Problem #2:
So-called art and artifacts of dubious value due to mass-production are heavily advertised as indispensable to a public not taught how to think critically, and indeed rewarded and encouraged to value simple emotions and tribal belief systems over empirical knowledge and the aforementioned critical thinking.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

• Members

In a mainstream sense, music is in a dire state compared to other decades.

False. Popular music has been awful for decades. The only reason anyone thinks any differently is because most of it didn't last, or is remembered as pure kitsch. World is drowning in a sea of false nostalgia.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mmolteratx

View Post

False. Popular music has been awful for decades. The only reason anyone thinks any differently is because most of it didn't last, or is remembered as pure kitsch. World is drowning in a sea of false nostalgia.

I stopped listening to mainstream radio around the mid 80s. For me at least, there is a direct correlation between 1) the rise of 'pop stars who are as well-known for dancing as they are for singing' and 2) the decline of pop stars who could write good songs.

After the rise of Michael Jackson and Madonna, pop music was taken over by stuff like Paula Abdul, MC Hammer, Menudo, New Kids On The Block, Boys II Men, Destiny's Child, Ricky Martin, Brittany Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, then on to American Idol.... etc. Just not my cup of tea.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent'd

View Post

over-compression has killed music. I hope Neil Young gets his new digital music delivery system off the ground so it all doesn't sound like {censored}.....I recently got a new stylus for my turntable and am amazed at how much better vinyl truely is.

Hmmm... Be careful with this statement. You may like your records, but they are not an exact reproduction of live music either. Their dynamic range is less than CD (and many compressed formats). If, however, you mean compression in the mixing stage or mastering stage, no amount of new technology (or even old technology - i.e. vinyl) can save that...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

I stopped listening to mainstream radio around the mid 80s. For me at least, there is a direct correlation between 1) the rise of 'pop stars who are as well-known for dancing as they are for singing' and 2) the decline of pop stars who could write good songs.

After the rise of Michael Jackson and Madonna, pop music was taken over by stuff like Paula Abdul, MC Hammer, Menudo, New Kids On The Block, Boys II Men, Destiny's Child, Ricky Martin, Brittany Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, then on to American Idol.... etc. Just not my cup of tea.

I've seen a lot of people make arguments for Lady Gaga's writing ability. Never been sure what's true.

Archived