OT: So.... new Hendrix 'Album'. Are we excited?

MrChrisos

I can certainly appreciate the impact Jimi Hendrix had - there's never been another guitarist with the same amount of influence and impact IMO... but by this point, so many years after his passing, the well has to have run dry. I can't imagine there's anything unreleased of any consequence left in the tape vaults...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
I can certainly appreciate the impact Jimi Hendrix had - there's never been another guitarist with the same amount of influence and impact IMO... but by this point, so many years after his passing, the well has to have run dry. I can't imagine there's anything unreleased of any consequence left in the tape vaults...
This, obviously. Even with the amount of time he spent in the studio, Jimi doesn't seem to have been exactly an ultra-focussed go-getter sort- I imagine (and IMO his posthumous studio releases bear this out) that a lot of what happened on his studio dates was jamming with assorted musicians (the Experience guys, BOG and whoever else happened to be around, like on some of the tracks on Electric Ladyland that feature guest musicians. By the nature of the beast, these jams would have produced stuff worthy of release- and that subsequently has been- and not-so-great stuff that probably wasn't worth releasing and would never have been had Jimi lived.

AFAIK, any finished studio recordings (and several unfinished ones) have been released too. It would surprise me if some truly new stuff had been unearthed this long after Jimi's death. It's not as though nobody has been looking for it.

• Members

You are incorrect.

There is tons of tape and lots and lots of the unreleased stuff that has been bootlegged is very worthwhile.

Archived