Danelectro fab, cool cat and food series;what are the good ones?

dman11

• Members

I'm getting a Fab echo and a french toast octave fuzz, I had a frenchy before and it was awesome till i broke it. never had the fab echo tho, was wondering which danos are the best of the bunch and which ones you'd recommend.
have a go.

• Members

Cool cat drive v1
French toast
Tuna melt
Chicken salad

Those are the ones I've had/have and theyre amazing.

I've heard great things about the Dan echo and pb&j. Also the cool cat vibrato is supposed to be rad.
And the fish and chips.

An honorable mention is the talk back.

• Members

PB&J is good - does the clean digital delay thing very well and has a handy second switch that drops a long delay down to a slapback. Currently on my board.

The coolcat V2 transparent overdrive is slightly lacking in drive and excitement but is OK - some prefer it to the V1 (see gearmandude youtube evaluation).

The coolcat V1 fuzz is a nice overdrive style fuzz that's retains some guitar character and doesn't go splatty. Currently on my board.

• Members

love my CC V1 Fuzz, i don't think that's gonna leave my board soon if at all. a Frantone Peach Fuzz, it seems. fantastic muff-based (i believe) pedal. the tone is as good as in anything quality fuzz out there, i don't have any problem with saying that. stellar. (yeah, i know, the volume knob is a bit funky, but i don't mind it at all now).

PB&J is pretty cool.

CC Tremolo is pretty cool, for a cheap, simple tremolo pedal. i would have kept it in my board if i could blend the waves, other than that it's a cool pedal. Tuna Melt is better, imo.

i really recommend everyone checking out a Danelectro Reel Echo, i really really like mine. pretty hard to master but it is worth it once you get the hang of it. you can get one of these used for real cheap...... beware. gigantic.

i liked the Chicken Salad, but i'm just not into vibrato. colours the tone quite a bit, but it sounds cool and trippy and has potential if you're into that sort of effect.

i think that's all i got.

Reel Echo and V1 Fuzz are where it's at of all of those i've tried.

Danelectro has made quite a few cool pedals. I really have to second what Poltergeist said about the Reel Echo - it's a fun delay, although a pedalboard real estate hog.

In the food series, the Fish & Chips graphic EQ is a fantastic value. I also like the Chicken Salad, PB&J, French Toast, Tuna Melt, and (with the R44 mod) the Rocky Road.

The Cool Cat series pedals that I've tried have all been at least usable, and some are real winners. V1 Fuzz and OD are both really good, as is the V2 OD. V1 TOD is highly regarded too, although I've never used one extensively enough to comment. I like the Cool Cat Vibe, but it does have some non-unity gain issues.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
a pedalboard real estate hog.
definitely. at first i wanted to get rid of it because of the size but i couldn't bring myself to do it. it was so cheap and sounded so awesome.

after fuzz it creates a gigantic wall of sound, if you play loud, and it can do the leslie-type delay with the warp function really well, imo, and i'm not really into that sort of thing, but it has it's own thing going on and i like it.

• Members

oh, the Daddy-O and the Fab Tone, i've had those.

both of the Daddy-O and the other one sounded pretty good all-in-all, but i didn't like they were tuned, that tone knob just sits in frequencies which i find really strange. kind of a hollow sound, to my ears. could be cool for some people, but i can't say i'm the biggest fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau View Post
they're all pretty good actually, the only stinker for me was the Cool Cat Vibe, I couldn't reurn it fast enough. had it less than 24 hours.
Was it the volume increase when switched on issue that bothered you, or the "delay" between hitting the switch and the effect kicking in? Those are the two biggest issues the pedal has IMO, and the ones I regularly see people commenting on.

Both can be fixed fairly easily...

http://aperioguitar.com/2011/06/13/a...cool-cat-vibe/

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Was it the volume increase when switched on issue that bothered you, or the "delay" between hitting the switch and the effect kicking in? Those are the two biggest issues the pedal has IMO, and the ones I regularly see people commenting on.

Both can be fixed fairly easily...

http://aperioguitar.com/2011/06/13/a...cool-cat-vibe/
yes, there were three issues actually. the delayed activation of the effect and the volume boost made it completely unusable for me, how it made it to production like that is a major oversight on their part.
the most disappointing thing for me though, I thouht it was basically a Chicken Salad, but built much better. it sounded nothing like a poormans Uni Vibe or a Chicken Salad, that was the deal breaker for me. that's just a matter of preferance, not the predals fault.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gremson View Post
FAB Flange and Fish and Chips EQ are my favorites.
I never got on well with the FAB Flange.
The FAB chorus however, I thought was awesome.
The Fish & Chips EQ is wonderful as well.
The FAB distortion was tolerable.
The FAB metal, yeah, kinda sucked, but was fun to play with now and then.
The FAB Echo can be modified (as long as you don't have problems with SMD stuff) to make it a real delay and still have the slapback. You can add a 100K pot in there and get about 1200ms delay. But really, much past 600-800ms delay and it starts to sound really crappy.

Archived