Fuzz pedals that clean up nicely when you turn down the volume knob?

• Members

Amp's a Mesa/Boogie Quad, main guitar is a Ruokangas V.S.O.P. Tried a Fuzz Factory, and a Lovepedal 200lbs, but neither sounded good when I turned down the volume on my guitar. I also want a more 'classic' fuzz sound, more Hendrix and Trower than Matt Bellamy.

Heard good things about the Fire Red Fuzz, any ideas?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob View Post
Just get a Fuzz Face. it's about as classic as fuzzes get--and it cleans up really good.

my demo here shows my NKT275 fuzz face and how it cleans up--also shows some Tonebender versions.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. The original-style Fuzz Face is massive, what'd you recommend as a smaller alternative with a similar sound? I read that the Sun Face is very similar.

• Members

anyone chime in on how the black arts "ritual" does this? I've ordered one but haven't played it yet.

speaking of black arts, the black forest does this better than anything i've tried, goes from {censored}ing metal into spank clean through my amp (if i set it as such).

I use that for hendrix, but a fuzz face would be the obvious choice.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vidret View Post
anyone chime in on how the black arts "ritual" does this? I've ordered one but haven't played it yet.

speaking of black arts, the black forest does this better than anything i've tried, goes from {censored}ing metal into spank clean through my amp (if i set it as such).

I use that for hendrix, but a fuzz face would be the obvious choice.
I have the ritual but I prefer it balls out. I'll go in and put it through the volume knob paces and report back.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

View Post

lots of great fuzz face clones out there. Analogman sunface. MJM London Fuzz.

But doesn't the Sun Face only use batteries? That's gonna be a bit of a hassle, although I've been told the sound difference is quite big at times. Like the Fuzz Factory, even I could tell the difference between mine with batteries and with a regular power supply.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob View Post
lots of great fuzz face clones out there. Analogman sunface. MJM London Fuzz.
Both great suggestions and I agree a fuzz face is what you are after if you want to sound Hendrix-ish and have a fuzz that cleans up well.

The sky is really the limit here in terms of clones/variants of this pedal, it is perhaps the most copied and popular fuzz circuit out there. Even within the officially branded model there are many different versions (most significant variance being the type of transistor used - germanium or silicon).

I'm sure ANY of the local builders on this forum would be happy to build one for you - do some research on who they are or post in the spam thread and see who comes knocking.

The analogman offers pretty much everything you could want if you are ok with the price - having a bias control and selection of transistor types gives a lot of versatility to the usual volume and fuzz circuit controls.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BAXANDALL View Post
No really it cleans up great for me with the volume knob. Ritual on the other hand not.
I guess the pharaoh depends on the amp, but the ritual?

That's the one marketed as cleaning up well with the knob :/
Got buffers in front?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vidret View Post
I guess the pharaoh depends on the amp, but the ritual?

That's the one marketed as cleaning up well with the knob :/
Got buffers in front?
When I wrote that I was using a Hill guitar with 2 SD humbuckers into a ritual into a twin clone into a single 12 cab with an Emi Delta Pro 12A. 5 minutes before I posted that. I'll do it again on chat tomorrow if you're interested. wave.gif

I would think the Revelation would be good for that though. I'll screw around with it tomorrow too.

• Members

Damn, that Sun Face looks like a delicious pedal, especially with some of the extra features they offer. The sound samples sound great, too. Of course, I'm using a Quad through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, so it'll never sound quite the way it would through a cranked combo or similar, but that's what I've got.

Archived