not enough space for the saddle to get my guitar intonated right - any hints?

sparkfriction

• Members

hello hcfx wave.gif

the saddle of the lower b string on my seven string is completely scaled back, but the string is still to sharp at the 12. fret.

i use D'Addario EXL110-7 010 - 59 Nickel Wound... with standard tuning at the moment (BEADGbe) or drop (ADADGbe)

any hints to fix that? or is a new bridge the key?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrisos

View Post

It might be an obvious one - but is the truss rod set right? You shouldn't need to send it back that far.

good questin, i cant say anything about truss rod. its quite concave, no buzzing and pretty low string action. but dunno if its set right idn_smilie.gif

but you're right - i think something is wrong with if the saddle is so far back.

• Members

I had the same problem on an old fender strat, what it was was actually the saddles wearing away from rubbing over a long period of time. So I switched the problematic high e saddle with the a and everything was fine

• Members

This happened on my tele and it actually turned out that even though I just went up a gauge size the nut needed to be reslotted. Real easy to check if this is the problem, just capo at the first fret and see if you can get the problem string intonated as normal(open with capo on 1st fret and then fretted at 11th fret) If you can then the nut is the culprit, if you can't then it's something else that's probably mentioned here.

• Members

^good point too - thank you!

short update:

- truss rod: the truss rod is tight as {censored} and i dont get really much more space without a complete {censored}ed up string action and/or buzzing strings on the frets...

- saddle-spring: removing the spring behind the saddle gives me maybe one or two millimeters more space, but its still not enough space for the saddle...

i'll check the nut as next.

the more i try to fix it, i think its just {censored}ed up and i am doing something wrong... frown.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit

View Post

Is the spring still there, removing the spring will give you a bit more travel. Though it should easily intonate a 59 tuned to B, could be a dud string. Or your doing something wrong. Or your bridge was place wrong.

sometimes all it needs is just a trim to shorten the spring.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Player99

View Post

You can't intonate old strings...has to be fresh brand new ones. Get rid of the saddle spring...

Quote Originally Posted by oinkbanana

View Post

where'd you hear this fable?

you CAN intonate older strings, though dirt/grime can make it harder to do. as the string is not able to vibrate "true"

the downside to intonating older strings is that when you change em, you'll have to do it again.

Archived