Making "cents" in music.

renula

• Members

Ah, poor guy can't make a living playing music. Must be the internet's fault. It was so easy to make a living as a musician before that. Or maybe it's Spotify's fault. Sucks that he was forced to put his music on it. And they don't pay him hardly anything each time someone listens! Back before the internet and Spotify, it was common for musicians to get paid everytime for each individual who heard one of their songs. His math has convinced me that the 21st century sucks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by onyxrhino

View Post

Ah, poor guy can't make a living playing music. Must be the internet's fault. It was so easy to make a living as a musician before that. Or maybe it's Spotify's fault. Sucks that he was forced to put his music on it. And they don't pay him hardly anything each time someone listens! Back before the internet and Spotify, it was common for musicians to get paid everytime for each individual who heard one of their songs. His math has convinced me that the 21st century sucks.

Deliberately retarded sarcasm is retarded and sarcastic.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Science!

View Post

He doesn't equate the sales generated by this exposure into the equation. (which must not be much either. frown.gif)

I mean, in a way, songs on Pandora or Spotify are advertisements for their album/band.

They're getting paid to advertise their music on an internet website.

I don't think that's a fair and accurate assessment of Spotify or Pandora. Those services aren't simply a digital cork-board for band advertisements, they literally provide you with an artists complete discography. Artists don't earn a living from those royalties, and these types of service undoubtedly cannibalize album sales. Still, it's never going to change back to what it was. There's no money in making music, better just deal with it and do it because you love it.

Archived