psi

Groovebox capable of odd meters?

Does anyone know of any hardware grooveboxes capable of odd meter (non 4/4) patterns?

Yamaha RM1x and RS7000 can do any meter you want. Within reasonable limits.

Apparently per track too, so you could (if you were so inclined) have several different meters running simultaneously.

E-mu PX-7, XL-7 or MP-7 (all three are the same basic machine, but loaded with different sample ROMs). Pretty much any meter you want. Basically a Proteus 2000 in a groovebox format with a very capable sequencer and lots of knobs and live performance features.

D7

Zoom RT-223 - but it has to be a continuous beat. So if you start your song in 7/8, you'll end it in 7/8.

I've used the Boss DR-5 years ago to create Dream Theater-like odd rhythms where the meter changes on every bar and it was capable of doing that. But the velocity didn't feel right, so I stopped using it. Not really a groovebox though...

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know if the DX200 is capable of multi-metered tracks? I love the FM synth on that thing.

Yamaha RM1x and RS7000 can do any meter you want. Within reasonable limits.

Apparently per track too, so you could (if you were so inclined) have several different meters running simultaneously.

Remember though, the RS7000 uses Yamaha lingo.

A Style = a Single Song.

This comprises of 16 Sections = Sections A to P

There are 16 Tracks in any of the 16 Sections marked A too P.

However each track can use it's own Independent "Phrase" .

So you have a Style with 16 sections with 16 tracks in each, for a possible total of 256 Phrases within a single Style (read song).

Those phrases can go to the Internal TG / Sampler / Midi Out A and Midi Out B.

Some points to remember -

Any PHRASE can be from 1 full measure to 256 measures long.

Any Phrase can be ANY TIMESIGNATURE.

So in any given Style you can have 256 phrases of 1 to 256 measures in length of any time signature you choose simultaneously.

You can also clock divide or multiply those signatures to play at double, quadruple, half, a quarter, a third or three quarters of the master tempo also.

Any portion of any phrase of from beat:bar:clock to beat bar clock can me tempo divided or multiplied also.

So you could easily have 4/4, 15/16,7/4,and 2/4 at varying lengths and at variable clock divisor ratio's all playing simultaneously in a single section in any given style at the same time.

Takes a while to get your head around but the results can be quite worth while.

You can also step sequence CC's at these tempo's resolutions and beat divisor combo's also and create midi CC dummy clips that can be assigned to a specific track or midi out channel also for some rather clever live modulation jamming effects also.

Well yes?

Boss DR-880 can do it, but it can't do something like 2/8 I think.

Odd meters have an odd number in the numerator. ;)

Odd meters have an odd number in the numerator.
;)

I know, I'm just saying that DR can't do 1/8, 2/8, and all /16 meters. Most others can pass.

A Style = a Single Song.

This comprises of 16 Sections = Sections A to P

There are 16 Tracks in any of the 16 Sections marked A too P.

However each track can use it's own Independent "Phrase" .

So you have a Style with 16 sections with 16 tracks in each, for a possible total of 256 Phrases within a single Style (read song).

Those phrases can go to the Internal TG / Sampler / Midi Out A and Midi Out B.

Some points to remember -

Any PHRASE can be from 1 full measure to 256 measures long.

Any Phrase can be ANY TIMESIGNATURE.

So in any given Style you can have 256 phrases of 1 to 256 measures in length of any time signature you choose simultaneously.

You can also clock divide or multiply those signatures to play at double, quadruple, half, a quarter, a third or three quarters of the master tempo also.

Any portion of any phrase of from beat:bar:clock to beat bar clock can me tempo divided or multiplied also.

So you could easily have 4/4, 15/16,7/4,and 2/4 at varying lengths and at variable clock divisor ratio's all playing simultaneously in a single section in any given style at the same time.

Takes a while to get your head around but the results can be quite worth while.

You can also step sequence CC's at these tempo's resolutions and beat divisor combo's also and create midi CC dummy clips that can be assigned to a specific track or midi out channel also for some rather clever live modulation jamming effects also.

I :love: my RS7K! *sigh*

From DX200E.pdf (not a manual but some sort of Tip book for the DX200):

So it looks like you can set pattern lengths to 16, 12, or 8. If you mix 12 with 8 or 16 you can get a little phasing going on, but when it says "it plays back at half the speed" this makes it seem like it's just interpolating the 12 notes to 16 steps. Any idea?

I just skipped the Yamaha lingo ;)

But thx for the confirmation.

So it looks like you can set pattern lengths to 16, 12, or 8. If you mix 12 with 8 or 16 you can get a little phasing going on, but when it says "it plays back at half the speed" this makes it seem like
it's just interpolating the 12 notes to 16 steps
. Any idea?

yes, it will take those 12 steps and occupy the same amount of time as 16 steps (i think the steps would then be considered 8th note triplets), at the same tempo, and does the same when set to 8; that is, the tempo remains the same and the 8 steps will play at half the speed of 16 steps.

also, i'm not sure what you mean by phasing, but remember that the DX200 is monotimbral (although it is 16 note polyphonic).

In cultures where not-duple time is the norm (evildragon, I believe you live in one, so you can confirm or deny), the metre is most often additive. That is, we may see it as a 17-beat bar (I'm making this example up to save time but the principle applies), but it is performed as 2+2+3+2+2+3+3 or, alternately, short-short-long-short-short-long-long.

So, if your equipment allows it, you could get there by programming a sequence of duple and triple bars.

In cultures where not-duple time is the norm (evildragon, I believe you live in one, so you can confirm or deny), the metre is most often additive. That is, we may see it as a 17-beat bar (I'm making this example up to save time but the principle applies), but it is performed as 2+2+3+2+2+3+3 or, alternately, short-short-long-short-short-long-long.

So, if your equipment allows it, you could get there by programming a sequence of duple and triple bars.

Hehe, our national folklore mainly has 4/4 and 3/4 songs, with some rare 2/4 and 6/8 stuff.

Macedonians and Gypsies, on the other hand, are completely different beasts. They like everything odd: 7/8, 9/8, 11/8, 15/8. Wackos XD

Hi all,

Since over ten years have passed on this thread I'm hoping that some technological progress has been made.

I'd love a groovebox that I can groove in 5 or 7 or 13 or 15 or any other meter I GAS.

Is there any device that can be simply setup to work in the 'odd' time signatures and doesn't require contorted mathematics or extensive resampling to achieve the groove?

Thanks