I'm really wanting a new Les Paul... Or Gretsch...

delayed delay

• Members

Got about $2K in the works for an LP or Gretsch... And headed to Southpaw Guitars today; literally the only place ill have ANY chance at getting to play before I buy..

Any particular models to sit down and try? I plan on trying a lot of em anyway... Just thought I'd check with you guys first.

Right now, based on feature sets, I'm considering the following:

Les Paul Standard
Les Paul Premium Plus Standard
Les Paul traditional
Les Paul Deluxe (not really interested in the mini humbuckers... But I'll listen)
Gretsch Duo Jet
Gretsch White Falcon (I'm dreaming there... Not a chance I'd have enough cash for it yet.)

Not interested in the LP Studios; I've played half a dozen or so, and they all felt really cheap.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HP Hovercraft

View Post

You can get Traditionals at Sam Ash for $1399 and $1599 (plus-top) right now.

The traditionals I played today were cool enough I guess... But the Standard Premium Plus is just a much nicer guitar. I was blown away by the 2 I played today. Incredible guitars.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zinzin

View Post

Don't care for a les paul, go for a gretsch!

Played the Duo Jet and a couple semi hollow Gretsch's today - phenomenal guitars... Excellent build quality, loved the sound, especially the feedback I'd get from the semi's... But as weird as it sounds, I feel like my ASAT already has that spanky/snappy/biting tone that I heard out of these Gretsch's. Now if I'm in the market again in a couple years, I'll most likely be getting a Gretsch of some kind. But yeah, the Les Paul Standard Premium Plus sounded incredible going into the Marshall channel of my amp... Incredible. And there's really nothing quite like it. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
My advise is to look for a used Historic for around your budget.
+1

Got my G0 with Sheptones for not much more than that in trade value and it's so much better than the Standard I had a few years ago it isn't even funny. Also got mu Custom brand new for not a whole lot more but that was an anomaly. icon_lol.gif

Archived