Pantera

christianatl

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pantera was an exercise in marketing, not musicianship, and should be regarded as such. How "good" is Kid Rock? $ wise just fine, but musically dreck.

They did survive the "grunge" era and sprint to the front of the alienated rural teen boy parade but really just represent a marketing niche the industry has been trying to establish for years: southern fried crap that sends money to LA and not Nashville.

• Members

What were Dimebag's last words?

"Hey! Could we get some shots up here?"

Seriously, though. I just bought the vinyl reissue of Far Beyond Driven. The second half of that album is pretty great.
I have a few friends that knew Dimebag that have always said what a cool and genuine person he was. I don't think the band was a marketing scheme or whatever. And as far as their glam roots go, I'm just gonna say that I'm glad that the music I was writing and playing at eighteen isn't used as a yardstick to measure what I do these days.

• Members

Well said. I never got the impression that Pantera was a marketing exercise. I think Anselmo is probably exactly as he comes across in magazines/interviews/on stage. Ditto for Dimebag. Some of their music is pretty {censored}, some of it's fantastic though. I find it hard to believe that even the OP can't appreciate that Vulgar Display has some great riffs on it. As a lead player Dimebag was a tremendous talent, too. Really sad how he met his end.

Archived