AC30 vs Vibrolux?

Dolf

• Members

This depends a lot on which model? It might be easier to clarify if you're thinking of the newest AC30C2 vs. the Vibrolux reissue or original 60's versions. Also, do you want it mainly for clean sound, for a "pedal platform" for break-up at a certain volume, is better/worse reverb a deal-breaker?

• Members

I had an AC30CC2. The only complaint I really had was that the reverb was really lacking. Didn't wanna buy a reverb pedal, so I traded the vox to a guy in town for a Super Reverb. Also, I felt like I could get a slightly bigger variety of tones from the SR than the vox. YMMV

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
It wasn't on my cc. Do you have noisy tubes in there?
I might idn_smilie.gif

it's a cc2x. I also keep the master cranked full and use the channel volumes. Seems to be a bit noisier that way, but it sounds much fuller.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
I might idn_smilie.gif

it's a cc2x. I also keep the master cranked full and use the channel volumes. Seems to be a bit noisier that way, but it sounds much fuller.
Yeah, that's how I run ac30s too, but usually they're not too bad nose wise- it's not like they've got cascading high gain sages or anything. I bet a tube change would quiet things up!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by renula

View Post

new vibrolux amps need the mod to tame the hiss and make the reverb nicer.

My friend (famous HU bluesist) plays his unmodded Vibrolux and gets a very nice, authentic blues sound without any pedals. He fiddles with the knobs on his Strat all the time.

• Members

I just got the vibrolux reissue. Not a blackface sound at all, like others will tell you.

Compared to an ac30: lighter. 2x10s (Jensen-style) speakers offer less volume and a slightly smaller sound. A touch less forward in the mids. Fartier on the low notes. Reverb is surprisingly bad (a wash with the Vox, although the amp can be modded).

That said, I prefer the custom vibrolux. It has a touch of the tweed/brown era going on, it's portable, responsive, not too loud to where you can't get some breakup with a band (unlike my other amp). I was deciding between this and an ac15, but the ac15 wasn't quite enough. The ac30 would be too much, and way heavier than this amp, but I enjoyed playing one in a band six or so years ago.

If you're thinking of a bf/sf vibrolux, then it's a different story.

• Members

The Custom Vibrolux Reverb (CVR) is NOT a RI.

It started of as the Brown Vibroverb RI (one of Fender's very first RI, before they introduced the DRRI and TRRI), but they made changes when it became the CVR. The "global" reverb bridges the preamp channels pretty early in the signal chain which raises the noise floor noticeably. And then the lack of negative feedback works against headroom, makes t harder to tame and also adds noise, but the positives are a more immersible 3-D sound.

I think it's a fair comparison to the a Vox though, as wjbratcher noted, it is more of a Brown Fender, more mids, more aggreessive.

Archived