best Brownface fender for Petty toanz

Hiwatt Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

View Post

you must've been on crack bro. i've seen them 3 times and they {censored}ing killed each and everytime. actually one of the best live shows ever, imho.

I have to agree with Bob - The Heartbreakers bring it live. One of the best live rock and roll bands in the world IMHO. Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob View Post
Campbell? yeah. his toanz haunt me to my mids.
Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob View Post
thanks for the help Aristotle. what really Erks me about hcfx, is that you can never get helpful answers in threads such as this. maybe i need to go to the Alt Cuntry thread at TGP.
Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls View Post
Relax bro, have a cold one 2qw3b40.gif
I've asked - repeatedly - for everyone to let the HM stuff go, but yet you guys can't resist the temptation to keep poke.gif at them. evil.gifmad.gif

I warned you... repeatedly. See you both in a week. cop.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BG76 View Post
I have a few brown amps. A Concert, Bandmaster, Vibrasonic, Super, etc.... None of them sound Tom Petty to me. Saw TP live 2 or 3 times and they're always horrible live. The guy makes great records though.

etc....

4-4.jpg
I think you should donate one of your brownface to the Pirate foundation I just started.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Hmmm... I see a blonde Showman, and a Tweed, and a Blackface Princeton Amp (my man!), but I'm not seeing a Brownface.

mc-amps.jpg
"Brownface" refers to the faceplate, and not the tolex, so it includes all of the Professional line amps (white Tolex - piggybacks and the twin) as well as the brown tolex versions.

Outside of the 6G2 (Princeton) and 6G3 (Deluxe) the brownface amps share a topology and evolution with each other, akin to the way the later amps do.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
"Brownface" refers to the faceplate, and not the tolex, so it includes all of the Professional line amps (white Tolex - piggybacks and the twin) as well as the brown tolex versions.

Outside of the 6G2 (Princeton) and 6G3 (Deluxe) the brownface amps share a topology and evolution with each other, akin to the way the later amps do.
Kap'n you are a big brownface pro, which one would the best?
I've been looking at those marsh amps as they do copies of the bassman and the brown deluxe.

• Members

Oh! I know blackface and silverface refer to the faceplate, but I thought brownface referred to the tolex. I thought brownfaces had a black faceplate.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpectralJulian View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_...iers#Brownface

Blonde & brown tolex (& it sounds like some tweeds as well) = brownface.
OK, so I was sort of right. I wasn't aware that blondes and tweeds were lumped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever View Post
This thread needz moar 6g16 vibroverb

VibroVerb_Borwn.jpg
That's what I suggested. frown.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpectralJulian View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_...iers#Brownface

Blonde & brown tolex (& it sounds like some tweeds as well) = brownface.
No brownface tweeds, though the tweed champ survived into the brownface era.

Brownface, generically includes the 6G2 Princeton (which is actually the old tweed Vibrolux in a different wrapper), and the 6G3 Deluxe. Circuit-wise, though, they're both odd ducks in the lineup. A classic brownface amp circuit (Pro, Super, Bandmaster, Twin) includes things like "harmonic tremolo," a tapped treble pot, and a presence control. The bassman, obviously doesn't have the trem but has the others. Even the 6G11 Vibroverb is a "sort of brown, sort of blackface" amp as it has neither a presence control or harmonic trem.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ArrMatey View Post
Kap'n you are a big brownface pro, which one would the best?
I've been looking at those marsh amps as they do copies of the bassman and the brown deluxe.
I can't speak to which is better, but Allen also does 6G2 (Princeton) and 6G3 (Deluxe) based amps and kits. Nocturne is supposed to do an excellent brownface bassman according to folks on the GDP. Weber also makes a kit based on one of the brown Pro/Super circuits, but I've not built nor heard one.

Be aware if you want to build one, harmonic tremolo is a very complex, finicky circuit. One of the reasons Fender moved away from it.

• Members
I can't speak to which is better, but Allen also does 6G2 (Princeton) and 6G3 (Deluxe) based amps and kits. Nocturne is supposed to do an excellent brownface bassman according to folks on the GDP. Weber also makes a kit based on one of the brown Pro/Super circuits, but I've not built nor heard one.

Be aware if you want to build one, harmonic tremolo is a very complex, finicky circuit. One of the reasons Fender moved away from it.
Yeah, my harmonic trem goes wump wump wump wump if you turn the depth up over 5. I gotta get that fixed.

BTW, is there a brownface with harmonic trem, presence, and verb? That'd be the perfect amp. Or if it had harmonic trem & magnatone trem & opto-trem & reverb.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralJulian

View Post

BTW, is there a brownface with harmonic trem, presence, and verb? That'd be the perfect amp. Or if it had harmonic trem & magnatone trem & opto-trem & reverb.

Not an original. In fact there's no original reverb amp that has the other two. There are outboard boxes that do it, but again, the harmonic trem is a picky circuit - it really needs to run line level signal. You have to amplify the signal and knock it back down - nonot great from a noise standpoint.

• 4 years later...
  • Members
I have a few brown amps. A Concert' date=' Bandmaster, Vibrasonic, Super, etc.... None of them sound Tom Petty to me. Saw TP live 2 or 3 times and they're always horrible live. The guy makes great records though.

1-7.jpg

2-7.jpg

etc....

4-4.jpg[/quote']Dude. I get every Mike Campbell tone known to man, w/my brown deluxe, lol. And they really don't use them much, live..Only mod on mine is a 12ay7 in v1..Gives you great warm cleans, up to 5 on volume control, and still has all the dirt when you crank volume past 5. With this small change I made, it will cover everything from vintage Blackface to vintage Marshall sounds. And also, Mike Campbell has never sounded terrible live, to my knowledge, haha..

• Members

Yes, thats what you want..Brown deluxe. But, I would suggest a little Nashville trick. Put a12ay7 tube in V1, and that will give you more cleans, and still have all the dirt it had w/ the 12ax7 (just doesn't break up as soon..I don't know why fender didn't do this from the factory. The tweed deluxe, among many others, had the 12ay7's in V1. It keeps what was great about the dirt, and the cleans are outstanding up to 5 on the volume dial..Not fender twin cleans of course, but more like the higher wattage brown face amp, clean register..With no volume loss..And you still have the filthy dirt past 5.

Archived