best Brownface fender for Petty toanz

Hiwatt Bob

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i heard Pete Townshend's killer Who's Next toanz were a brown bandmaster. dohp!

Tom Petty > The Who.

Never really cared for The Who. I'm actually watching their Live at the Isle of Wright concert on youtube right now trying to change my mind on them, and so far it's better than their material with which I'm familiar.

[video=youtube;nTKVq3V6qNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKVq3V6qNU

Hmmm... I see a blonde Showman, and a Tweed, and a Blackface Princeton Amp (my man!), but I'm not seeing a Brownface.

mc-amps.jpg

Between them, Petty and Campbell have a terrific collection of guitars and amps - they probably have at least one (if not more) of any cool old Fender or Vox amp (among others) that you can think of.

• Members

Blackface + Tweed = Brown

They have three amps, HWB's asking for one.

And lets be honest: While there are certainly differences between those Fenders, there are also knobs. Twist them enough and you can get pretty much the same sounds.

(or at least that what I tell myself to stop the brownface fender GAS I've been holding in for a long time)

Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34

View Post

Tom Petty > The Who.

I hate to say it, since it's darn near blasphemy to some, but I think I have to agree with this. I do like The Who, but I think on songs alone, TP&THB take it. Plus, Mike Campbell > Pete Townsend as a lead guitarist, by a not insignificant margin. He's HIGHLY under-rated IMHO.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
I hate to say it, since it's darn near blasphemy to some, but I think I have to agree with this. I do like The Who, but I think on songs alone, TP&THB take it. Plus, Mike Campbell > Pete Townsend as a lead guitarist, by a not insignificant margin. He's HIGHLY under-rated IMHO.
Agreed, Campbell is a fantastic player, very underrated.

Definitely agree about the Who as far as songs. Great band, but the concept albums just lose me. If they had written more straight ahead (cliche I suppose) rock songs, I might like them better.

Plus Tom Petty is actually a 457 year old vampire, so they've got that going for them as well.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34 View Post
Tom Petty > The Who.

Never really cared for The Who. I'm actually watching their Live at the Isle of Wright concert on youtube right now trying to change my mind on them, and so far it's better than their material with which I'm familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKVq3V6qNU
Tom Petty > The Who? Nah bro.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Loobs View Post
Tom Petty > The Who? Nah bro.
Too disparate to even compare them, IMO.

But then I always rolleyes.gif whenever we try to make these comparisons between artists with such different origins and methodologies.

If you said Tom Petty > Bruce Springsteen? That might actually be a reasonable comparison, and I would definitely lean toward Petty.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
What guitars do you usually play? How loud do you need it?

I ask because I had a Brown Princeton that was incredible for that kind of thing, but it was quick to break up with humbuckers or volume.

So Fender Brown Princeton or a Quinn Derby (Brown Deluxe's are stupid expensive) is my answer.
Yup. I had a Brown Princeton in BF clothing and it nailed that kind of sound. Started breaking up around 3 on the volume knob though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

I have a few brown amps. A Concert, Bandmaster, Vibrasonic, Super, etc.... None of them sound Tom Petty to me. Saw TP live 2 or 3 times and they're always horrible live. The guy makes great records though

you must've been on crack bro. i've seen them 3 times and they fucking killed each and everytime. actually one of the best live shows ever, imho.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob View Post
you must've been on crack bro. i've seen them 3 times and they fucking killed each and everytime. actually one of the best live shows ever, imho.
Different strokes for different folks. The times I saw him he wasn't singing in tune and Mike just played super treble slide all night (badly). I think the last time I saw them was maybe 15 years ago so maybe they've gotten a lot better.

i saw them back up Bob Dylan one time (maybe 87 or 88?) and it was horrible aside from Dylan's acoustic set.

At any rate putting the personal insults aside, the brown amps are fantastic. I don't know why they're not more popular, although not long ago you could buy BF amps for cheap as well. The vibrato alone is worth the price of admission. The first one I bought (center volume for $750) literally blew me away I had never heard a vibrato channel that good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

View Post

+1 Petty was great when I saw him about 2 years ago. Higher than a kite, but put on a tight show.

Archived