NPD: Elements

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Happy NPD! The Elements was one of my all time favorite NPDs. It's one of those ones that truly lives up to the hype. It's my main sound for about 85% of the time. (then it's prolly 10% Talons, and 5% Hoof). It's just so great and intuitive. That and it sounds good through all kinds of setups. You'd be hard pressed to find an amp where you just couldn't dial in a usable tone with the Elements.

I use it for kind of a mid gain, crunch tone, somewhere in between a Plexi and a Mark IV. It's just lovely. We recorded our 3rd full length last month and I used it through my clean channel just like I do live and it sounds great, and I've only heard the rough cut. (Indecently, it blends really well with a 5150)

My only complaint is that I wasn't nuts for it's low gain, but honestly that's not why I got it and I probably just didn't spend enough time with teh low gain settings since I always have a dedicated lower gain box. Talons... does amazing low gain and stacks really well with the Elements. When you set the Talons for low and the Elements for mid (guitar>T>E>amp), the resulting high gain is great. Super tight and clear, but HUGE.

Oh, and OP, what color is your light? Mine's also the brown one and the light is sorta off-white incandescent looking.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by mmolteratx

View Post

Yea, too many knobs subtracts from my lawyer bl00zin.

icon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Crxsh

View Post

I just did a temporary trade for one of these w/ a co-worker. Excited to check it out.

I bet you will really dig it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by notjonahbutnoah

View Post

Happy NPD! The Elements was one of my all time favorite NPDs. It's one of those ones that truly lives up to the hype. It's my main sound for about 85% of the time. (then it's prolly 10% Talons, and 5% Hoof). It's just so great and intuitive. That and it sounds good through all kinds of setups. You'd be hard pressed to find an amp where you just couldn't dial in a usable tone with the Elements.

I use it for kind of a mid gain, crunch tone, somewhere in between a Plexi and a Mark IV. It's just lovely. We recorded our 3rd full length last month and I used it through my clean channel just like I do live and it sounds great, and I've only heard the rough cut. (Indecently, it blends really well with a 5150)

My only complaint is that I wasn't nuts for it's low gain, but honestly that's not why I got it and I probably just didn't spend enough time with teh low gain settings since I always have a dedicated lower gain box. Talons... does amazing low gain and stacks really well with the Elements. When you set the Talons for low and the Elements for mid (guitar>T>E>amp), the resulting high gain is great. Super tight and clear, but HUGE.

Oh, and OP, what color is your light? Mine's also the brown one and the light is sorta off-white incandescent looking.

Neat! thumb.gif

Can't wait to try it with the band soon. Totally_jammin_out.gif

I thought my light was yellow-ish? idn_smilie.gif

I'll have to check.

• Members

Looking forward to my Elements which should arrive with the Chosmichorus. Damn customs though. Probably going to get held up until after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Schnikes

View Post

^ You Euro bros need to have a Stateside pal/forumite purchase and ship for you, avoid some of the fees involved. I've sent a handful of pedals to my friend's in Germany and they def spend less money that way. thumb.gif

Oh, and yeah, The Elements is SICK! Love mine.

I need a Stateside bro for this. Perhaps the incentive for them to try out the stuff you order before they ship it off would make it worth it. Doing that for a Mobius and Lunar module would save

• Members

Everyone points out the "too many knobs" thing but in reality it's just gain, volume, mix, treble, mids, bass. Pretty straightforward. thumb.gif

But then you have the toggles too I suppose. Even more gain, clippping, and EQ options there. Max dirt variety involved plus some clean boost and one hell of a powerfull 3-band EQ. I'm actually getting a Cleanness soon to take advantage of the clean boost/EQ cuz my Elements is always bringing the heavies. Hard to get away from that setting honestly.

• Members

View Post

more comparison vs talons please

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaltones

View Post

Looking forward to my Elements which should arrive with the Chosmichorus. Damn customs though. Probably going to get held up until after Christmas.

I need a Stateside bro for this. Perhaps the incentive for them to try out the stuff you order before they ship it off would make it worth it. Doing that for a Mobius and Lunar module would save

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Schnikes

View Post

Everyone points out the "too many knobs" thing but in reality it's just gain, volume, mix, treble, mids, bass. Pretty straightforward. thumb.gif

But then you have the toggles too I suppose. Even more gain, clippping, and EQ options there. Max dirt variety involved plus some clean boost and one hell of a powerfull 3-band EQ. I'm actually getting a Cleanness soon to take advantage of the clean boost/EQ cuz my Elements is always bringing the heavies. Hard to get away from that setting honestly.

its not 'too many knobs' in a bad way, as in i don't know how to work them or how to get a good sound. quite the opposite. it allows you to dial in so many great sounds i just couldnt settle and stop turning knobs constantly!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 4nd3h

View Post

more comparison vs talons please

I think theTalons does low to mid gain better and the Elements does mid to high better. The Ekements is more tweakable and these adjustments are usually needed to tailor a high gain tone.

The Talons has it's own unique gain structure, and although it's quite versatile, it's a bit more vintagey than the elements. About the highest gain you can go while keeping it tight and usable is somewhere in the 80's hair/Judas Priest level. There's a lot more gain on tap but it gets a little too wooly and fuzz like. Its low gain is to die for though.

They can both do cool fuzzish stuff. Just a matter of dialing the gain way up, and adding bass. Also, both of their EQ sections are extremely powerful.

• Members

View Post

I think theTalons does low to mid gain better and the Elements does mid to high better. The Ekements is more tweakable and these adjustments are usually needed to tailor a high gain tone.

The Talons has it's own unique gain structure, and although it's quite versatile, it's a bit more vintagey than the elements. About the highest gain you can go while keeping it tight and usable is somewhere in the 80's hair/Judas Priest level. There's a lot more gain on tap but it gets a little too wooly and fuzz like. Its low gain is to die for though.

They can both do cool fuzzish stuff. Just a matter of dialing the gain way up, and adding bass. Also, both of their EQ sections are extremely powerful.

Sounds like having both is awesome. love.gif

Thanks for comparing/contrasting.

• Members

Played it for a half hour... nice high gain stuff, but nearly every lower gain setting I tried was sorta splatty in the decay. Sounds and feels like a modded Rat so far. Will have a chance to play it with a band over the weekend -- looking forward to that.

• Members

View Post

Played it for a half hour... nice high gain stuff, but nearly every lower gain setting I tried was sorta splatty in the decay. Sounds and feels like a modded Rat so far. Will have a chance to play it with a band over the weekend -- looking forward to that.

I was just going to post about the splatty.

Yeah, RAT-like for sure. Must be why I like it.

Great for high gain, but doesn't get as ice picky or compressed as an average RAT.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

its not 'too many knobs' in a bad way, as in i don't know how to work them or how to get a good sound. quite the opposite. it allows you to dial in so many great sounds i just couldnt settle and stop turning knobs constantly!

Ahh, I see. Def hard to settle when tweaking knobs, lots of good in there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Fiscal

View Post

I was just going to post about the splatty.

Yeah, RAT-like for sure. Must be why I like it.

Great for high gain, but doesn't get as ice picky or compressed as an average RAT.

...and must be why I'm not feeling it so much. icon_lol.gif

I'm really not a fan of the decay. Wish it was as good at low gain as it is cranked... but you'll have that, I suppose. I have yet to play a pedal that does both really well. :dramaticsigh:

Quote Originally Posted by pelliott

View Post

Man, I love this pedal. I think the biggest thing with it is just be patient, and you'll find settings that make you go unh, dananana. I focus on the high gain sounds.

I'd heard that this thing was really more about the high gain. Probably why I shied away for so long. Fun to play with at home, but in the end

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Villano Dude

View Post

Sounds like having both is awesome. love.gif

Thanks for comparing/contrasting.

Yeah, they're a fun pair.

View Post

View Post

...and must be why I'm not feeling it so much. icon_lol.gif

I'm really not a fan of the decay. Wish it was as good at low gain as it is cranked... but you'll have that, I suppose. I have yet to play a pedal that does both really well. :dramaticsigh:

I'd heard that this thing was really more about the high gain. Probably why I shied away for so long. Fun to play with at home, but in the end

Archived