Being left handed has always sucked..

King Rat

• Members

Looking, back, i kinda wish i would have just started playing righty. Going into music shops is the worst haha. But, when i was a kid, my folks got me a lefty, and thats how i started, never looked back. I do have several friends who are leftys and started playing righty. If you do it from day 1, youll never know the difference. But, it is GREAT not having people always wanting to try out your gear! And if you do find a store that has a lefty, you can usually talk them down a bit because they know it might take forever to get rid of it, same with CL and everything. As far as selection, ibanez does pretty good job circulating models and keeping something fresh available.

• Members

Haha.... I USED to hate being a lefty. But I've found these 3 guitars at pretty ridiculous prices:

C428D1DB-4B24-46A3-B21C-FB23563EC3F1-533

The Larrivee OM-03RE will most likely be the only acoustic I'll even own - simply phenomenal. Sells new for around $1,500... I found it on EBay for $900 BIN. It was listed as used, but when I got it, it still had the plastic film over the pick guard and all the tags too. love.gif

The G&L ASAT Special was a guitar I've wanted for 3 years, and finally decided to seek one out a few months ago. I thought I'd have to save for a while, but there was a used one on eBay for $1,300 OBO. I never thought I'd get this lucky, but I lowballed the seller at $700 thinking they'd just laugh - he counter offered at $750 (eek.gif)... So I scrambled and sold 2 electrics that were decent, but not great, and paid for the ASAT in full with what I made from those 2 guitars - totally worth it. The ASAT is everything I wanted and more.

The Gibson Les Paul Standard is only 2 weeks old to me. Got it brand new from Sweetwater. Funny thing about this one, is its always been my dream guitar, but being a lefty, I'd try to take shortcuts by getting other guitars that got me somewhat close I guess, but still disappointed me in several ways. So I decided that no matter the cost, I'd actually SAVE up for the exact guitar I wanted. I went in to a local shop (southpaw guitars in Houston) and spent a few hours playing on various LP's - a Deluxe (mini hums), 2 different Traditionals, and 3 Standard Premium Pluses. Being that the Traditionals were significantly cheaper, I really wanted them to be my favorites... But the Standards just blew them away IMO. Problem was the price. ($2,700). I just figured I'd have to wait a few months, but apparently the prices are going up to $3,000 in January; no big. I'd just save up a little longer; worth it. So I got home and checked on Sweetwater to see if they had any in the color I wanted (ebony), just for giggles. They did. And it was $1,899. $800 cheaper than other finishes of the exact same model. confused.gif... Called up my rep... He confirmed that the price was so low because it was on clearance; trying to clear out the 2012 models to make room for the 2013 models, which are slightly different. So I bought it using their brilliant 3-time payment plan (after budgeting for it and getting the wife's permission), and not an hour after I received my order confirmation, that specific guitar was listed as "Sold Out" at Sweetwater. smile.gif ... Got the last one of that color, and not only was it the exact color and model I wanted, but I got it at a fraction of the price. I'm still excited. love.gif

So now that I have found great deals on guitars that will probably be with me the rest of my life, I'm pretty glad I'm a lefty. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by delayed delay

View Post

Haha.... I USED to hate being a lefty. But I've found these 3 guitars at pretty ridiculous prices:

C428D1DB-4B24-46A3-B21C-FB23563EC3F1-533

The Larrivee OM-03RE will most likely be the only acoustic I'll even own - simply phenomenal. Sells new for around $1,500... I found it on EBay for $900 BIN. It was listed as used, but when I got it, it still had the plastic film over the pick guard and all the tags too. love.gif

The G&L ASAT Special was a guitar I've wanted for 3 years, and finally decided to seek one out a few months ago. I thought I'd have to save for a while, but there was a used one on eBay for $1,300 OBO. I never thought I'd get this lucky, but I lowballed the seller at $700 thinking they'd just laugh - he counter offered at $750 (eek.gif)... So I scrambled and sold 2 electrics that were decent, but not great, and paid for the ASAT in full with what I made from those 2 guitars - totally worth it. The ASAT is everything I wanted and more.

The Gibson Les Paul Standard is only 2 weeks old to me. Got it brand new from Sweetwater. Funny thing about this one, is its always been my dream guitar, but being a lefty, I'd try to take shortcuts by getting other guitars that got me somewhat close I guess, but still disappointed me in several ways. So I decided that no matter the cost, I'd actually SAVE up for the exact guitar I wanted. I went in to a local shop (southpaw guitars in Houston) and spent a few hours playing on various LP's - a Deluxe (mini hums), 2 different Traditionals, and 3 Standard Premium Pluses. Being that the Traditionals were significantly cheaper, I really wanted them to be my favorites... But the Standards just blew them away IMO. Problem was the price. ($2,700). I just figured I'd have to wait a few months, but apparently the prices are going up to $3,000 in January; no big. I'd just save up a little longer; worth it. So I got home and checked on Sweetwater to see if they had any in the color I wanted (ebony), just for giggles. They did. And it was $1,899. $800 cheaper than other finishes of the exact same model. confused.gif... Called up my rep... He confirmed that the price was so low because it was on clearance; trying to clear out the 2012 models to make room for the 2013 models, which are slightly different. So I bought it using their brilliant 3-time payment plan (after budgeting for it and getting the wife's permission), and not an hour after I received my order confirmation, that specific guitar was listed as "Sold Out" at Sweetwater. smile.gif ... Got the last one of that color, and not only was it the exact color and model I wanted, but I got it at a fraction of the price. I'm still excited. love.gif

So now that I have found great deals on guitars that will probably be with me the rest of my life, I'm pretty glad I'm a lefty. wink.gif

wow, nice stable. I've had a few bandmates and friends work at Larrivee. I've been to the factory a few times, they're bracing is unique and they really are well made.

• Members

I'm a lefty, but learned guitar by playing my brother's right handed guitars - except I just turned them over and played them lefty (though still strung right-handed). It stuck, so that's the way I've been playing for over 20 years. Really makes it a challenge to find guitars!

Acoustic guitars aren't so bad, if they don't have a pre-installed pickup/preamp with the controls on the side. On my Guild I installed a Fishman pickup with the controls in the soundhole. Any cutaway or pickguard are pretty much useless for me though haha.

As for my electric, I had been playing a righty turned over, but then a few years back bought a lefty Godin and switched out the nut and intonation to be strung right-handed. That way the cable comes out the bottom and the knobs are where they should be in relation to my strumming hand.

• Members

I really like the guitar in the OP and definitely WOULD if I had the spare cash. I don't get why certain folk, whilst adhering to every other possible cliche, refuse to accept that a guitar is the neck and some pickups. I really do wish this was about the aesthetics but it's something far beyond that, and much scarier too... especially because it's so prominent at the "production" level more so than any other generation before it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Fall

View Post

I'm sure for some people playing righty works ok, but there is no way I ever could've played right handed. From the time I was really little if I picked up a guitar I picked it up lefty. It just always felt correct to me.

Same here. And despite well meaning warnings from rightys about guitar availablilty I persisted down the dark side. It felt right.

Archived