OT: anyone want to talk about Australia's gun laws?

The Interceptor

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by NoplanB

View Post

Aussies generally are very savvy intelligent responsible people, extremely cosmopolitan and well travelled.

This has been my experience as well, except for the ones where were drunken hooligans. Which was most of them.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by goodhonk View Post
australia is a penal colony, no surprise it has strict gun laws.
icon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Oz has had its share of nutcases with guns unfortunately. Wiki has a pretty good list of the various mass murders in Australia
Unfortunately everywhere has psychos who commit crimes.
I had a quick look at gun related death stats per capita and "supposedly" the US has 10x the amount of general gun related deaths compared to Australia and 40x the amount of homicides in where guns are used. o_O

Personally I don't care if one country has the rights to own guns and the other doesn't as long as it is what the people of that country want. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ambient Exposure View Post
I live in Australia (have my whole life) and have absolutely no idea what our gun laws are. Probably because I have no need/want to own a gun.
Plus we don't seem to have many fruitcakes running around with guns so I just think about it.
this

Quote Originally Posted by conky View Post
No, unless Australian Gun Law is a new overdrive.
and this.

• Members

I don't know about Australia's gun laws, I'm sure they're stricter than here, and I hope they are. I don't care what anyone thinks about my opinion on gun laws here in the US, but when I see this clip below, and every other tribute for these beautiful innocent children, rest assured I'm not going to be easy on gun enthusiasts any longer. I hate the NRA, and people who support them right now. I know many gun owners who are also upset with them, and rightly so.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/23/us/con...ace/index.html

Here's what I would do if given unlimited authority.

1. I would not ban the 2nd amendment (though I might be tempted, I know there are many good gun owners out there)
2. I would ban all assault type weapons, semi automatic rifles, machine guns, etc. Shotguns, single shot rifles would be excluded. Hand guns would be subject to a very strict licensing done by the FBI, and would need to be reviewed every so often.
2.5 No grandfather for these type of guns either. Turn them in, or go to jail. You should be reimbursed for turning in your guns though.
3. I would ban all clips for any weapon over 6 shots.
4. Any crime committed with a gun, would take that person to jail for a minimum of 10 years. Repeat offenders for life.
5. Any gun that is to be sold, whether new or used, must be done through an authorized dealer
6. Insurance must be maintained for every gun owner, like owning a car. Every gun must have insurance on an annual basis
7. Ammunition must also be taxed. Tax from ammunition is to be used to repay gun shooting victims fund
8. Schools that need/want to have armed guards, must be paid with from a tax of gun owners, on the sale of any legally purchased gun.
9. A mental health requirement must be met when purchasing a new/used gun. Every time.
9.5 If a person has had a mental health issue, their license to own a gun should be suspended, minimum 5 years.
10.. I'm sure there's more, but this is what I've been thinking about for the past week.

Note, I know there's a lot of peaceful gun owners out there. But there are a lot of gun owners, who have legally or illegally purchased guns that just do bad things with these guns, and the right to own guns, is less important to me, than the thousands of victims who've lost their life for no other reason than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's time to change our attitude on violence, and reducing the number and type of guns is an excellent place to start.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
I don't know about Australia's gun laws, I'm sure they're stricter than here, and I hope they are. I don't care what anyone thinks about my opinion on gun laws here in the US, but when I see this clip below, and every other tribute for these beautiful innocent children, rest assured I'm not going to be easy on gun enthusiasts any longer. I hate the NRA, and people who support them right now. I know many gun owners who are also upset with them, and rightly so.

1. I would not ban the 2nd amendment (though I might be tempted, I know there are many good gun owners out there)
2. I would ban all assault type weapons, semi automatic rifles, machine guns, etc. Shotguns, single shot rifles would be excluded. Hand guns would be subject to a very strict licensing done by the FBI, and would need to be reviewed every so often.
2.5 No grandfather for these type of guns either. Turn them in, or go to jail. You should be reimbursed for turning in your guns though.
4. Any crime committed with a gun, would take that person to jail for a minimum of 10 years. Repeat offenders for life.
5. Any gun that is to be sold, whether new or used, must be done through an authorized dealer
6. Insurance must be maintained for every gun owner, like owning a car. Every gun must have insurance on an annual basis
7. Ammunition must also be taxed. Tax from ammunition is to be used to repay gun shooting victims fund
8. Schools that need/want to have armed guards, must be paid with from a tax of gun owners, on the sale of any legally purchased gun.
9. A mental health requirement must be met when purchasing a new/used gun. Every time.
9.5 If a person has had a mental health issue, their license to own a gun should be suspended, minimum 5 years.
10.. I'm sure there's more, but this is what I've been thinking about for the past week.

Note, I know there's a lot of peaceful gun owners out there. But there are a lot of gun owners, who have legally or illegally purchased guns that just do bad things with these guns, and the right to own guns, is less important to me, than the thousands of victims who've lost their life for no other reason than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's time to change our attitude on violence, and reducing the number and type of guns is an excellent place to start.
Holy shit dictator..

My guns pose ZERO threat to anyone unless my own right (or family ) to be alive is threatened

• Members

I'm in agreement with this.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jhideout View Post
Holy shit dictator..

My guns pose ZERO threat to anyone unless my own right (or family ) to be alive is threatened
You have almost zero chance of defending yourself from someone who really wants to kill you. If you truly believe this, I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Great article on ABC News I watched the other night, that featured a bunch of people, some with gun experience, some with none (and some had a lot) and then they were all given training in self defense. And without fail, every single one of them (with a gun strapped on to their waist) when confronted with a surprise shooter, were "killed" every single time. Diane Sawyer did the interview. I was genuinely surprised, as were the gun enthusiasts in the bunch. I'll see if I can find it. Bottom line is, in the VAST majority of situations, your gun, will not save you. And most likely, it will be turned against you/your family. You're much better off getting a dog and/or alarm if you are afraid of a home invasion.

And your guns do pose a threat if they're stolen by thieves, and then used against innocent people.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Trick Fall View Post
I'm in agreement with this.

Thanks, more and more people are. The tides are turning, thankfully. And this isn't a right vs. left argument anymore. It's about common sense gun control, but not the taking away of all guns. I don't think that would be right either.

• Members

Also, I'd much rather talk about effects, than guns. It's such an emotional issue right now, and rightly so. Especially if you have kids, as I do. And they go to a school that was recently voted a "dangerous" school in NYS (it isn't, but it's more of a reporting issue, but still - it has us on edge.) At least effects don't kill people, I don't think...

• Members
You have almost zero chance of defending yourself from someone who really wants to kill you. If you truly believe this, I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Great article on ABC News I watched the other night, that featured a bunch of people, some with gun experience, some with none (and some had a lot) and then they were all given training in self defense. And without fail, every single one of them (with a gun strapped on to their waist) when confronted with a surprise shooter, were "killed" every single time. Diane Sawyer did the interview. I was genuinely surprised, as were the gun enthusiasts in the bunch. I'll see if I can find it. Bottom line is, in the VAST majority of situations, your gun, will not save you. And most likely, it will be turned against you/your family. You're much better off getting a dog and/or alarm if you are afraid of a home invasion.

And your guns do pose a thread if they're stolen by thieves, and then used against innocent people.
Do you have any clue how many times daily a gun prevents a murder or rape or home invasion? Guns save lives all of the time...the media has an agenda so nobody ever hears about on the news.

• Members

You're all (uneducated, babied) cocksuckers.

Apologies to my Serbian, Korean and Turkish friends who've FORCEFULLY had to serve their country and put their lives at risk for these idiots. Lets see anyone leaving the house with handguns with intentions of killing groups of people... they wouldn't have the balls similarly to those who feel the need to equip themselves with automatic weapons or rifles.

• Members
And yes if someone has me specifically targeted...my chances are low...however during a public rampage or home invasion my chances are much much better

I don't believe it, at all. Best of luck though. You'll need it.

• Members
Do you have any clue how many times daily a gun prevents a murder or rape or home invasion? Guns save lives all of the time...the media has an agenda so nobody ever hears about on the news.

Very, very little data will support this thesis. However, there is an alarming amount of data that has shown without a doubt, that the proliferation of guns in this country, leads to more lives lost.

• Members

You forgot pump action weapons and lever action weapons. And you also banned like 90% of all bolt action weapons with your 6 round max. What kind of sentencing are you suggesting for people who refuse to turn in firearms? What kind of compensation would I receive for turning in my firearms? Fair market value? Original price I paid? Do you think uncle sam wants to drop that many millions of dollars on gun turn ins? A good percentage of americans would be jobless as well. Are you going to pay their unemployment?

Just curious.

Here's something a little better for you.

1. Restrict ownership of scary type weapons. (by definition all weapons are an "assault" type weapon) People are upset about NFA, SBR, and suppressor laws, but we work with them and are okay with them generally. $200 tax stamp to own an AR-15? Fine, another $200 to own an AK? Perfect. Uncle sam gets money, I get to own a scary weapon.

2. Revise and enforce the FFL form 4473. (here it is so you know what gun owners have to claim when they purchase a new firearm http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf )

3. Have paper work to submit for private sales. Washington state has a voluntary ONLY form you can fill out for handguns, but it doesn't apply to rifles. Do not tax or charge private sales, it's bad enough we have to do this with automobiles, why should a person be fined and taxed on something that already has been fined and taxed? Just seems like a senseless tax.

4. Ammo is already taxed, leave it alone. If you want restitution for shooting victims, why don't you take it from the felons that commited the crimes, or their families. Don't punish the (very) many for the actions of the few.

5. Insurance on firearms would be fantastic. Most insurance companies won't touch it because they are afraid of having to pay out for accidental discharges and what not. I'd love to insure every one of my firearms.

6. Mandatory written test. Followed by a practical application demonstration. I'd be very okay with this. Especially on concealed carry licenses.

7. Mandatory locking devices for all firearms. Enforcement of this rule.

Archived